Introduction to Oceanography ONLINE with Professor Chamberlin Forum Index Introduction to Oceanography ONLINE with Professor Chamberlin
for students enrolled in the SPRING 2004 ONLINE sections at Fullerton College

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Work for Nemo!
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Introduction to Oceanography ONLINE with Professor Chamberlin Forum Index -> Work for Nemo!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
drc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 3:28 pm    Post subject: Work for Nemo! Reply with quote

Write a 250-word minimum classified advertisement for an ocean-related career aboard the Nautilus that you would like to pursue. The scope here is broad: potential ocean-related careers could include a wide range of jobs, such as science teachers, marine biologists, military personnel, lifeguards, underwater tour guide, hairdresser, even a psychic who communicates with dolphins (which a former student pursued). Any type of job that might possibly be served aboard Nautilus is game (even if such crewmembers do not exist in the novel). You are only limited by your imagination AND your ability to relate this career to a study of oceanography. Included in your ad must be the official title of the position, the oceanographic and personal qualifications (use your learning styles and multiple intelligence information here), how this career relates to oceanography, the potential salary range and who to contact for an interview. Respond to two of your classmate's postings by commenting on the quality and thoroughness of their ad (is the position well-defined? is it clear what's required? does the job relate to oceanography?, etc.) Your response must be a minimum of 100 words for each classmate.
diaz_xiomara

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 5:53 am    Post subject: Work for Nemo Reply with quote

How would you like to come a board and work with us and have the opportunity of a life time. If you have a love for the ocean and looking for new and undiscovered ocean life, this is the job for you. We are looking to hire an expert on the behavior, classification and the different species of sharks. We need someone who will be able to help determine the type of shark species we encouter on our journey to look for other sharks that have yet to be discovered. The starting salary is about $1,000 for each day that we are at sea.This includes bed and board, accomadations at places we are to stay at when on land as well as means of transpotation(air,land and water). Can not get sea sick (at least not easily) must like to travel and travel lightly. You must have a degree in marine biology and shark biology. You must able to indure long hours of research at sea as well as rough weather while at sea. If you meet all the requirments for this job, we would gadly have you come a board with us. Contact us now.
haney_cassandra

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ATTENTION!! Looking for a intelligent,outgoing individual interested in marine biology and exploring the unknown. Any science teacher sick of being stuck in a classroom or just sick of low pay, then this is the opportunity you have been looking for. The qualifications are simply that you have your bachelors degree in oceanography, enjoy scuba diving and can work underwater. If you are able to handle underwater equipment underwater then your starting pay could go up 50$ dollars. Your starting pay is already 550$ dollars a day with a bonus every six months. You also have the oppurtunity to bag an extra 3000$ dollars if you make a discovery. Imagine how much you can learn and the money you would make while learning it. No need to worry about food and lodging all is taken care of on board. We will provide you with everything that is necessary for the journet of discovery. So if this sounds like the job for you then don't hesitate to call us a.s.a.p. Great oppurtunities await you aboard the Nautilus.
haney_cassandra

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Xiomara, I thought that your advertisement was really good. You mentioned everyhting that needed to be mentioned and got straight to the point. Your position was clear on what you wanted and what was going to be expected while at sea. I liked how much you starting pay was too. {haha} Your requirements were clear. The quality, the throughness, and how it was related to oceanography, was all very clear and defined really well. I'm sure your next assignment will be as well written and defined as this one.
blodgett_stacy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply to Xiomara Reply with quote

Xiomara,

I thought that your ad was very thourough and to the point. It stated everything about the description of the job. It described everything about the job and what they would be doing. The pay seems great, where can I sign up. I thought the job offered alot to the individual applying for the position. I was wondering if the person who was hired would just be looking for sharks? You did a great job!

Stacy
blodgett_stacy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply to Cassandra Reply with quote

Cassandra,

Nice job on the Classified ad. I was very impressed! I like the fact that that you also noted that you should apply if you like exploring the unknown, and if you are a science teacher sick of being in the classroom or low pay was great attention getter. I also liked the idea that you would pay an additional $3000 for any discovery made during the journey. Would that be for any discovery? That sounds preety cool. Keep up the good work!

Stacy Very Happy
blodgett_stacy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 7:00 pm    Post subject: Work For Nemo Reply with quote

ATTENTION ALL SEA LOVING HARD WORKERS!

The grand Ship the Nautilus is opening their doors for a few good men or women. We are currently looking for a top person to fill the position of Science Teacher, but you would have to wear many hats. We need a person with patience, thoughtfulness but tough when needed. You will be expected to teach all aspects of the ocean to all of our crewmembers, conduct oceanographic surveys and maintain the laboratory. You must incorporate Physics, Geology, Chemistry, Biology, Meteorology and Geography into everyday work experience for all on board. This position will incur long hours, and numerous jobs that need to be done. You will be in charge of teaching 100 crewmembers (from cooks to deck crew) the ins and outs of the ocean. You will also be in charge of 2 teachers’ assistants who will assist you in grading papers. The person for this job must have thick skin and a great attitude. You must also possess a bachelor’s degree in a science-related field that deals with the ocean. Experience is great to have but not necessarily needed to pursue this job. This position will open up doors for your career! The salary will vary with experience but will not go below $90,000.00. With this pay, your accommodations, such as living quarters, and food will be included. The time length of stay for this position is 8 months and the days will be long…16 hours long with 2 days off. but on call 24 hours a day! If you think you have what we are looking for, please contact The Secretary on board, Mrs. Gossip @ Mrsgossip@Nautilus.com. Please include a cover page along with your resume. If a cover page is not included, you will not be considered for this position.
sauer_emily

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 8:02 pm    Post subject: Work for Nemo Reply with quote

Are you someone who is looking for a good adventure? Do you need to just get away from every day life? Do you want to discover new and amazing creatures? Do you love to travel to new and exciting places? Or do you find yourself talking underwater about the things you see around you? Well if any of the above apply than we have a job for you. The Nautilus is looking to hire adventurous people who have a love for the ocean and it’s creatures. The Nautilus will set off for its adventure shortly and explore the ocean for new and undiscovered sea life. If you join our crew you will be the one and only official Underwater Tour Guide. You will spend your days aboard the Nautilus exploring the ocean depths and giving descriptive tours to the crew of the different areas we come upon. Your salary will start at $85.00 an hour and for every new discovery you find you will receive a $10,000 bonus. The only qualifications are that you must scuba dive, have a degree in Oceanography, you must be able to with stand most weather conditions, do not get seasick easily and must be able to talk and point while underwater. Included in your job is your board, food, all means of transportation, and any accommodations when we are on land. You must bring your own scuba equipment and rain poncho. If you meet the qualifications the ship leaves in a matter of days. Contact us at Shipsrus.com and you could be on the adventure of a life time.

Last edited by sauer_emily on Mon Feb 09, 2004 8:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
sauer_emily

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stacy,
I liked your classified ad. I thought it was well thought of. You mentioned everything that was needed and added much more. I liked how everything flowed well together. I also liked that you stated everything that you wanted in the person and what the job entitled them to do. I think that is was great that you included how long the job would run for right down to the hours and minutes. Your requirements where clear and you got to the point right away about what you where looking for. The job sounds hard but the pay seems awesome. Where can I join? Great job.
Emily
sauer_emily

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 8:27 pm    Post subject: Replym to Cassandra Reply with quote

Cassandra,
I thought your ad was great. I liked that you stated all of the qualifications right away and did not wait until the very end. For the 550 a day pay I would swim in shark infested water. I thought that the quality of the report was good and everything was pretty much clear. I liked that you told the applicant the things that were included in their job. I liked that you included not only people interested in the ocean but also people who liked to explore the unknown. I liked that you also included science teachers and people with low pay. I wondered if someone found like three different discoveries in one day would they get paid for all three? That would be way awesome. Good job.
Emily
jackson_kimberly

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 9:06 pm    Post subject: Assistant Marine Geophysicist Reply with quote

Assistant Marine Geophysicist

Are you tired of society? Does it make you just want to pick up and leave everyone and everything behind forever? Do you wish that there was some way to start over in life? Then we are looking for YOU!

Team Nautilus is looking for an experienced individual to take over as Assistant Marine Geophysicist for an unspecified period of time. Applicant must meet the following important requirements:

• MUST have a PhD in Marine Geophysics;
• MUST Work well under pressure and in confined spaces;
• MUST have at least 5 years experience working without supervision with GIS systems, cataloging and marine stratigraphy.
• MUST have the ability to fluently read, speak and write in English, German, French and Latin and be willing to learn additional languages if necessary.
• MUST be an advanced swimmer;
• MUST NOT be allergic to any type of seafood;
• MUST be willing to revoke any and all religious or political beliefs without question.

Important information:

The starting pay for this position begins at 100 Dracmes a day. Benefits are included. Meals and uniform will be provided upon commencement of employment.

If this sounds like you, or you are interested in this position please send your application, educational history, medical records and resume to CaptNemo@oceancareers.org. Please wait 48 hours for review or your information and notification from our Pacific offices. Should we accept your application, you must be ready to leave within 24 hours and can bring only your hat, one set of warm clothing which will subsequently be disposed of, and 5 books related to any subject.
Do_Khiem

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 8:26 am    Post subject: Submarine Representative Reply with quote

Represent Your Submarine!

Are you a leader? Are you someone everyone looks up to? Are you the top dog? Are you the shizze? Become someone and be a submarine congressman. Represent your constituents and do whats best for your fellow crewmen. Represent the Nautilus and vie for ocean tax dollars. Be able to go to Atlantis, the capital of the ocean, and help your submarine receive ocean tax dollars earmarked especially for projects on the Nautilus. Imaging the praise you'll receive when you are able to get funding for a foosball table or an extra large net for catching fish. The ocean needs leaders like yourself to step up and lead the new generation. Enact laws that will help the local submariners in peace and harmony. Become a watchdog for your fellow crewmen and the community.

Qualifications

Must have attained to the age of twenty five years and been a crewmember of the Nautilus for seven years.

Duties

Lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Impost, and Excises
    Pay the Debts
    Provide for the common Defense and general welfare of the Nautilus.
    Regulate commerce with foreign submarines. and among several crewmen.
    To coin money and regulate the value thereof
    Provide for the punishment of counterfeiting the current coin of the Nautilus.
    To declare war on other submarines
    To define and punish piracies and felonies committed

Congressmen shall be compensated, paid out of the Tresury of the Nautilus. Pay is only limited to the amount of taxes collected. Contact your fellow crewmen for the job.
Do_Khiem

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 8:33 am    Post subject: reply Reply with quote

hey cas,

nice ad. Your position is very well defined. You are a rouge teacher looking for adventure in the unknown abyss of the ocean which is blue black and white. I like the pay scale, yes, I like the $3000 for new and exciting discoveries and such things like that like new discoveries. $550 a day is very good for a entry level job. 550 divided by 24 is like twenty three dollars an hour, wow twenty three dollars an hour is a lot of money man. Yes, it would be great to be on a submarine and learn new stuff and explore new stuff. Do you have ot have any kind of degree, how about a preschool science teacher? does that count?
Do_Khiem

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 8:39 am    Post subject: reply Reply with quote

Hey K. Jackson,

Yes, i would really like to be a geophysicist. Your ad sounds really interesting to me. I like how your ad was set up, very organized and neat. Phd sounds kind of hard how about a BA. Yes marine stratigeophy sounds very interesting to me. I'm not sure what that exactly is but it sounds very technical and tech savy. A certainty in the ocean is you cant be allergic to seafood. Crabs, lobster, oysters, clams and other sea creatures are very tasty i thinks. Drecmas is an intersting currency... How does the drecmas compare to the dollar or euro or the yen?
haney_cassandra

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Khiem, I am the one who responded to you. Cassandra {I forgot to log in}
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Introduction to Oceanography ONLINE with Professor Chamberlin Forum Index -> Work for Nemo! All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 1 of 20

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum