Introduction to Oceanography ONLINE with Professor Chamberlin Forum Index Introduction to Oceanography ONLINE with Professor Chamberlin
for students enrolled in the SPRING 2004 ONLINE sections at Fullerton College

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What's Your Learning Style?
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Introduction to Oceanography ONLINE with Professor Chamberlin Forum Index -> What's Your Learning Style?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
drc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 12:55 am    Post subject: What's Your Learning Style? Reply with quote

Go to page 207 of the study guide and read it
    go to http://www.metamath.com//lsweb/dvclearn.htm (revised from study guide) and read the information there
    take the learning styles survey and make notes on your results, i.e. what kind of learner are you, according to the survey
    go to http://www.ldrc.ca/projects/miinventory/miinventory.php? and read about the eight styles of learning
    take the multiple intelligences survey by filling out the required information and clicking on Begin at the bottom of the page. Make notes on your results.
    go to http://www.cmi-lmi.com/kingdom.html and read the information on Kingdomality there.
    take the Kingdomality Personal Preference Profile by clicking on Enter at the bottom of the page. Make notes on your results.

Using the notes that you took from each of the three surveys, answer these questions:

1) What have you learned about your style of learning, your "type" of intelligence and the type of person you may be?
    2) How can this information help you to become a better learner?
    3) Using this information and anything else you know about yourself, what changes can you make TODAY to become a more effective and successful learner?

Read what other classmates have posted and respond to TWO of their postings. You should have a total of three (3) posts for this assignment.

This assignment is due no later than 1155PM, Sunday, February 8, 2004. The time is determined at http://www.time.gov. Completion of all parts of this assignment earns you twenty (20) points. Partial assignments receive zero (0) points. Repeat: You should have a total of three (3) posts for this assignment.
seboldt_nadya

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 3:11 am    Post subject: Learning Style Reply with quote

I am a visual learner. The second test we took also showed me that I am well balanced and that I can adapt to other learning styles. The third test went on to say that I just don't prefer to adapt to those other styles if I don't have to. I do prefer that things be systematic. When my learning experience becomes spontaneous or if it revolves around a deep base in free thinking and creativity, I have a hard time. This really didnít come as a surprise to me since I do like systems in my day to day life. I am one of those kids that almost always carries a day planner around with them. My friends know I am meticulous about my daily planning. Iím just really not into spontaneity. I figure if life is comprised of major spontaneous events, then what I actually need to do will never get done. Spontaneity is alright if everything else is taken care of first. I swear that Iím not quite so uptight in my social life. Itís just that I need structure in my schooling. I do well in classes that are rooted in numbers. Classes where at any given point in time, I can look up scores, calculate, and get my grade within a matter of minutes. Classes that are centered around a subjective grading system make me insane.

What this teaches me about progressing to become a better learner is pretty much what I am actually already doing (ha! Me and my patterns). Keeping an organizer, keeping my work in order, and being neat about what I do. I also already know that flash cards and color coding or other aspects of a centralized visual learner are the most helpful to me when it comes time to learn. Also keeping to the schedule I have planned, if not being ahead of it, may also help me greatly in learning. Thatís probably why I am on here now doing this assignment already.

I really donít know what else I can do to become a more successful learner. The last test we took supported my decisions that if it isnít broke donít fix it. My GPA reflects the learning habits of a good student and hey, what IĎm doing is working, so I think IĎll continue doing it for the most part. I think the only other thing that I can do to further my learning experience would be to take a more physical approach to it. Too often my work becomes merely words on a page instead of actualities of life. If I can take the time to sit back and visualize the situations that encompass the facts I am memorizing, I have a better chance of having those words link into my long term memory instead of being just random trivia facts temporarily in my brain.
pittman_r

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 1:51 am    Post subject: my learning style Reply with quote

I am a visual learner. I've always known this and have generally been able to affectively apply myself. I scored highly on the linguistic, music, and visual/spatial parts of one of the tests. Mathematics and intense sciences have never been my strong points but I'm able to see a logical progression and logically work through most problems. I tend to excel in creative areas. I keep to myself for the most part and like to work on my interests by myself and at my own pace. For that reason I think I will be able to do well in online courses. Although I keep to myself mostly, the final test said that I am an "idealist social dreamer" and that i like to "solve people problems" which for the most part is true.

I learned during the course of taking these tests that i can more effectively learn by thoroughly reading all the material provided. in the past I relied heavily on recalling what I'd heard in lectures (despite being a visual learned i can usually remember what i hear, I guess it stems from studying music) and in an online setting I won't have that to fall back on. I can make use of the recommendation to highlight in my books and make notes in the margins. These are things I haven't done in the past. The naval institure press edition of the Verne novel has great margins for note taking, if anyone still hasn't gotten a copy, I agree with Dr. C that this one is the best. Another thing I might do to improve my learning is use the computer to organize informatioin presented to us. Seeing as that the computer is where we have to spend most of our time for this class, that shouldn't be too hard.

Starting today, I can begin taking notes during my reading and I can make an attempt to be more outgoing and learn from what my peers with different learning styles have to share with me.
Do_Khiem

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 7:13 am    Post subject: What's my style Reply with quote

According to the learning style quiz. I'm a touchy feely learner. I disagree, I believe I'm more of a intrapersonal learner; I believe I do my best work alone where I can live and die by my own work. I also see that I'm a logical and musical learner. In the Kingdomality test, my distinct personality was the doctor. I agree with this analysis, my emotions and feelings are reality based. I'm not religious at all, I believe there is a logical explanation for everything, even though we havent found them all, so I think it's okay to dwell in spiritual explanations in the meantime.

I will use this new found information to improve my study habits. Hopefully this will allow me to retain information that I come by.

Organization is key in learning. Taking notes with different color pens is one tip I really think is paying off. I used to think people who used different color pens were a little to anal, but I've learned that it really helps with studying.
Do_Khiem

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 7:17 am    Post subject: Response Reply with quote

Nadya,

Yes, I also like structure in my life. I like things organized, especially teachers who are predictable.
Do_Khiem

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 7:20 am    Post subject: yickidee Reply with quote

r,

Yeah, i hate math as well. Ever since geometry, it all down hill from there.
Membreno_Rosy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 7:47 am    Post subject: My Learning style Reply with quote

Using the notes that you took from each of the three surveys, answer these questions:

1) What have you learned about your style of learning, your "type" of intelligence and the type of person you may be?

Wow- who knew that all these years I've been taught with techniques that weren't compatible with me? I'm a very Hands-on, and visual learner.
Colors are big for me. I can memorize many things at once, by just highlighting it different colors. During a test I'll think- blue meant..bla...bla.bla...and I'm usually right.

Knowing my strengths will help me to study and not waste time studying in a way that won't help me.

3) Using this information and anything else you know about yourself, what changes can you make TODAY to become a more effective and successful learner?

I can embrace my strength and buy myself a pack of markers first thing tomorrow!

Membreno_Rosy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: my learning style Reply with quote

[quote="pittman_r"]I am a visual learner. I've always known this and have generally been able to affectively apply myself. I scored highly on the linguistic, music, and visual/spatial parts of one of the tests. Mathematics and intense sciences have never been my strong points but I'm able to see a logical progression and logically work through most problems. I tend to excel in creative areas.

hi there--

I see that you are also a visual learner-- me too. I thought it was interesting that you feel that because you're a musically oriented person, it perhaps explained why you hear things you remember them better. If I hear something, I won't remember it unless there is picture of their words in my head. Usually- when I'm talking to someone, I see words in my head and that's how I remember most everything.

Good luck in the course,

Rosy Cristabel
Membreno_Rosy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Response Reply with quote

Do_Khiem wrote:
Nadya,

Yes, I also like structure in my life. I like things organized, especially teachers who are predictable.

Hi--

I see that you like predictable teachers. Oh my Gosh--I would evaporate from boredom! I guess everyone really does have thier own learning style.

Here's hopin' you get predictable teachers from now on!

Luck,
Rosy Cristabel Very Happy
lev_b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 5:50 pm    Post subject: Learning styles Reply with quote

After taking counseling 151 and the numerous personality tests, the information I learned today is similar to what I found out in the past. I am a Tactile/Kinesthetic type learner. Hands on is the most efficient way for me to learn. Note taking is important, flash cards are very helpful. I also enjoy field trips that require observations and speculation. I one thing I didn't realize is that audio is also helpful. (walkman tape recordings etc,) I'll have to try out this style.

Also my highest scores in the multiple intelligence inventory were in the areas of Interperson, Body/Kinesthetic, and Visual/Spatial, This would confirm the results of the above mentioned tests.

Finally I found that I am a shepard type personality from the Kingdomality test. No big suprise here. The last 7 years I spent taking care of my children, their boy and girlfriends, and their casual friends. Every night my home is filled with the friends of my children. They have always asked for my opinion or my help with their problems. Also I have spent a fair amount of time helping classmates with projects, especially those with difficulty writing English projects I don't feel that I write well but I can explain the requirements and show the how to acclomplish the their required goals.

As for what changes I might make to enhance my learning, I am definately going to try use more audio techniques. Maybe some of my classmates might have comments on what tools they have used sucessfully and which didn't work well.
lee_eunice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: What's Your Learning Style? Reply with quote

I wasn't that suprised with what I got on the first two test. The first one said that I was a visual/nonverbal leaner, which is true. It takes me a while to focus, and usually people lecturing will cause my thoughts to wonder off. So yeah...I agree with that one. The second was a little more off, but still on target. I do learn better by myself, or on artsy material. The last test kind of confused me, because it was not like me at all. I got Dreamer-minstrel, which meant I was a person who saw the silver-lining in the cloud. I'm...not really like that. I'm trying to be; but it takes...practice.
As far as the learning tests go, I already knew that about myself, so it wasn't anything new. I've been trying to study using those methods already, so maybe all I can do is apply it more.
Again, I don't see any changes I could make. But maybe I could look into other methods outside my "learning style", and try those out. I don't think that anyone has to be limited to a certain type of study habit. Maybe something will work. But I will try to...try a little harder, and not procrastinate.
lev_b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 6:15 pm    Post subject: Leaning styles Reply with quote

Nadya

I too have a hard time with Freethinking/Creative types. Not because I can't follow their thinking but because they usually don't back up their point with some kind of structure that I can understand. My daily life is not as structured as yours, but order is important. For me chaos is the most difficult thing to deal with in a learning environment. Initially I was concerned about taking an on-line class because I usually do better in a classroom, with immediate feed back from the other students and instructors. Fortunately this class has been well thought out and has a structure that is becoming more comfortable.

Byron
lee_eunice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: What's my style Reply with quote

khiem,

So...I'm not the only one that disagrees with results at least somewhat. Maybe it's because everyone thinks about the question in a different way, and then answers it from that. I'm not sure But tests aren't always accurate, though it may be most of the time.
lev_b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 6:31 pm    Post subject: Learning styles Reply with quote

Rosy

I wish I could see words and pictures in my mind when trying to remember something. It would be easier to sort out everything in my memory if ther was a picture to associate it with. Please elaborate more on what you actually see. Is it images, numbers or something else. This method is fascinating to me.

Byron
stelea_daniela

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: What's Your Learning Style? Reply with quote

drc wrote:
    Go to page 207 of the study guide and read it
    go to http://www.metamath.com//lsweb/dvclearn.htm (revised from study guide) and read the information there
    take the learning styles survey and make notes on your results, i.e. what kind of learner are you, according to the survey
    go to http://www.ldrc.ca/projects/miinventory/miinventory.php? and read about the eight styles of learning
    take the multiple intelligences survey by filling out the required information and clicking on Begin at the bottom of the page. Make notes on your results.
    go to http://www.cmi-lmi.com/kingdom.html and read the information on Kingdomality there.
    take the Kingdomality Personal Preference Profile by clicking on Enter at the bottom of the page. Make notes on your results.

Read what other classmates have posted and respond to TWO of their postings. You should have a total of three (3) posts for this assignment.

This assignment is due no later than 1155PM, Sunday, February 8, 2004. The time is determined at http://www.time.gov. Completion of all parts of this assignment earns you twenty (20) points. Partial assignments receive zero (0) points. Repeat: You should have a total of three (3) posts for this assignment.

I am a visual/nonverbal learner. I've always known this. I learn best when information is presented visually. I tend to like to work in a quiet room. I may have an artistic side that enjoys activities. I like to make flashcards, to mark up the margins of my textbook with key words and symbols. As much as possible, I translate words and ideas into symbols, pictures, and translate in my native language. On the 2nd I scored highly on the mathematics, naturalistic, and interpersonal parts. And on the 3rd one I am a Merchant that like to be realistic in every situation and analyze everything. I can be logically practical, rational and realistic.

To become a better learner, I keep an organizer and keep my work in order. Also keeping to the schedule I have planned. I tend to excel in creative areas.I keep to myself for the most part and like to work on my interests by myself and in my own place. For that reason I think I will be able to do well in online class.

I really don't know what else I can do to become a more successful learner.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Introduction to Oceanography ONLINE with Professor Chamberlin Forum Index -> What's Your Learning Style? All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20  Next
Page 1 of 20

Jump to: