Introduction to Oceanography ONLINE with Professor Chamberlin Forum Index Introduction to Oceanography ONLINE with Professor Chamberlin
for students enrolled in the SPRING 2004 ONLINE sections at Fullerton College

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

You've Been Hired
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Introduction to Oceanography ONLINE with Professor Chamberlin Forum Index -> You've Been Hired
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ragan_Angela

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Ms. Winds

After conducting an interview with you last week, I was very impressed with your expertise in the field of meteorology. After a rigorous application and interview process, we have deemed you the best individual for the job. Therefore, we are sending this letter to you to formally extend you the job offer.

If you choose to accept this position your starting salary will be $50,000, plus a compensation package valued at well over $10,000. The workweek is the standard Monday – Friday with 8 hours of work completed anytime between 5am and 8pm.

Your position will require you to monitor the daily weather patterns, with relation to surfacing. Also you will have to monitor ocean currents, and recommend alternate courses if the patterns will have an adverse affect on our ship.

As an employee on the Nautilus you will be expected to show the utmost respect for everyone onboard. Although we do not monitor your work performance, we need for you to constantly stay atop of your work, and file weekly work progress summaries.

We expect for you to use all of your oceanography skills in this position and stay in constant communication with the onboard professor of oceanography.

Once again we thank you for applying for this position. It is our honor to extend you an offer for this job, because we have deemed you the best candidate for this position.

If you would like to accept this job please contact the Nautilus staffing department at (714) 555-5555.

Congratulations!!

Sincerely,
Johnson P. Maxwell
Director of Human Resources

Jason,
You did a great job with detail. I wish I would have remembered to put when the work week ends and when the work week begins. I like how you put it into various paragraphs w/ what the job entails. You were striaght foward and that is great of an employer. Very professional! Great job.
Ragan_Angela

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Ms. Winds

After conducting an interview with you last week, I was very impressed with your expertise in the field of meteorology. After a rigorous application and interview process, we have deemed you the best individual for the job. Therefore, we are sending this letter to you to formally extend you the job offer.

If you choose to accept this position your starting salary will be $50,000, plus a compensation package valued at well over $10,000. The workweek is the standard Monday – Friday with 8 hours of work completed anytime between 5am and 8pm.

Your position will require you to monitor the daily weather patterns, with relation to surfacing. Also you will have to monitor ocean currents, and recommend alternate courses if the patterns will have an adverse affect on our ship.

As an employee on the Nautilus you will be expected to show the utmost respect for everyone onboard. Although we do not monitor your work performance, we need for you to constantly stay atop of your work, and file weekly work progress summaries.

We expect for you to use all of your oceanography skills in this position and stay in constant communication with the onboard professor of oceanography.

Once again we thank you for applying for this position. It is our honor to extend you an offer for this job, because we have deemed you the best candidate for this position.

If you would like to accept this job please contact the Nautilus staffing department at (714) 555-5555.

Congratulations!!

Sincerely,
Johnson P. Maxwell

Jason,
You did a great job with detail. I wish I would have remembered to put when the work week ends and when the work week begins. I like how you put it into various paragraphs w/ what the job entails. You were striaght foward and that is great of an employer. Very professional! Great job.
mambu_victor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: YOU'RE HIRED!! Reply with quote

ferguson_jaron wrote:
Dear Ms. Winds

If you choose to accept this position your starting salary will be $50,000, plus a compensation package valued at well over $10,000. The workweek is the standard Monday - Friday with 8 hours of work completed anytime between 5am and 8pm.

Congratulations!!

Sincerely,
Johnson P. Maxwell
Nautilus Ship Incorporated
Dear Mr. Maxwell,
I am just impressed with your writing skills. You did a great job in your letter of acceptance for new hiree Ms. Winds. It was descriptive and very professional , which i cant stop raving about. I knew i saw something in you when i heard you to be the Director of Human Resources. You did a wonderful job in this letter and I hope to get to see more of your hirings. I believe Ms. Winds will make an excellent Meteorologist, and will make a fine replacement for Mr. Jet Stream who we all love and miss deeply. But i am anxious for this new hiree to start for i cant wait to start this new era. The starting salary is just right and it fits our budget right.
Keep up the good work Mr. Maxwell and make me some more great hirees.

Sincerely,

Captain Nemo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 7:47 am    Post subject: Jon Beard, First Mate - Job Offer to Ship Psychologist Reply with quote

Jon Beard, First Mate

As Captain of this vessel I felt compelled to address of few things with you since you have only recently been promoted to a hiring authority. Please, when sending job offer letters, always draft the document inside a word processing application. This should insure that all spelling errors are identified. I did want to complement you on your fine overview on rules of conduct and access while Ms. Henry is initially introduced to the vessel. When we have our 4th Qtr Officers meeting; would you please remind be to discuss with the group; thoughts on developing a comprehensive orientation packet – comprising both print and DVD explanations on ‘ship policy’.
Lastly, please be careful in future letters to not make reference to the candidate’s degree of restriction within the sub, as this is something that I prefer to determine on a case by case basis only. In my mind, it will depend upon my trust in the individual. Excellent work Mr. Beard, I believe you have secured an excellent ‘Ship Psychologist’.

Best Regards

Captain Nemo
duran_eduardo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply Reply with quote

Dear Mr. Chris Gonzales

You did a good job of replying to Mr. Hicaro who will soon be our executive seafood chef aboard the Nautilus. The only problem I found was that you failed to assign him some sort of specific knowledge that he should have before boarding. For example, you could have had him do research on a specific fish or species that is unfamiliar to him yet familiar to us and had him develop a few tasty recipes that he can prepare once he joins us. This way he can begin to familiarize himself with some of the species we come across daily. Other than that I'm sure we will all enjoy Mr. Hicaro's company soon.

Sincerely,
Captain Nemo
Flores_Zach

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 7:50 am    Post subject: Good job on the letter Brenda Reply with quote

Quote:
respond to two of your classmate's hiring letters as if you were Captain Nemo. Is the letter clear? Does it include specific examples of knowledge that the hire-ee must have? Is the salary too high for the job? Comment in no less than 100 words for each classmate.

Quote:
Kirkconnell_Brenda

Posted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 6:16 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

K. Jackson wrote-

Dear Ms. Mateo:

Thank you very much for your interest in the Assistant Marine Geophysicist position with the Nautilus. I have reviewed your letter of interest as well as your resume and I am very impressed. Your oceanographic qualifications are extensive and you seem confident in your knowledge and capabilities. Therefore, at this time, The Nautilus would like to extend employment to you.

Your salary will begin at 100 dramas a day which will increase depending on improvement. The Nautilus has all the equipment that you will need, so please do not feel tempted to bring anything with you. Please be prepared to work several hours a day working on catalogin and GSI projects for the Captain.

We require all employees to sign a Confidential Disclosure which has been enclosed for your review and signature. This basically states that you will not have any contact with the outside world during the period of your employment with the Nautilus, and that upon completion of your term of employment, you agree to be forever bound to silence of any of the information learned, witnessed or otherwise while aboard the ship.

There is also a Code of Conduct which each employee must adhere to which, to summarize requires the following:

- No vocal debates regarding religion, morals or politics with any person aboard the ship;
- No communication with non-employee passengers; and
- No land leave permitted for any reason within your term of employment.

We require that you be ready within 24 hours to meet at the South Bay Docks at 1:15am precisely, where a man named Mr. Maringá will take you out 1 mile to sea in a red rowboat where you will be picked up for duty aboard the Nautilus. You will need to undergo an immediate physical before attending to your quarters and orientation.

Sincere Regards,

Sgt. K. Pepper
The Nautilus

Dear Sgt. Pepper,

Every once and awhile I like to check up on my mates that are doing the hiring around here. It looks as if you're one that has things pretty well under control. I wanted to make sure that you were screening everyone very carefully and it looks as if you are doing an excellent job. We can't have just any old blarney stone kisser aboard my proud vessel.

Sgt. Pepper, there has been one thing plaguing my mind for more than a fort night. Are you really the guy from the yellow submarine that John and Paul were singing about??? I mean you are THE Sgt. Pepper right? IF so do you sill play for the Lonley Hearts Club Band? I'll have you know that I really enjoyed the show.

Back to the letter, it was very decriptive of the position and the level of conduct we expect here on the Nautilus. I'm also very glad to see that you are keeping our vessel of strictest confidence. We don't want just anybody showing at our screen door.

Good job and keep up the good work.

Sincerely,

Captain Nemo
santana_yunnie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 7:51 am    Post subject: Very Nice Reply with quote

Dear Sir,
Your letter is mostly clear. I wish the position could be more specified. I am assuming that the person you hired is a meteorologist. I put you in charge of hiring, and it seems you are doing a good job letting the new employees know what their responsibility entails. I only wished you would have referred him/her to reading guides.
I liked that you included specific examples of knowledge that the hiree must have. The salary for the job is perfect for the amount of work specified.
Good job in your hiring letter.
Sincerely,
Captain Nemo
Ragan_Angela wrote:
Dear Ms. Winds

If you choose to accept this position your starting salary will be $50,000, plus a compensation package valued at well over $10,000. The workweek is the standard Monday - Friday with 8 hours of work completed anytime between 5am and 8pm.

Congratulations!!

Sincerely,
Johnson P. Maxwell

Jason,
mateo_amber

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Ms. Lee:
We would like to inform you that you are now welcome to come aboard the Nautalus as of March 1, 2004. After extensive review of your application and our conference we have decided that you are the best qualified for the job. You meet all of the criteria and we know that you will succeed.
If you choose to accept our offer, your starting salary would be 200 dramas and may increase with more experience and training. We would be departing on April 5, 2004 and will return on June 5, 2004.

Your position would require you to bring all necessary equipment and you will be reimbursed for all necessary purchases within the field. You will be required to dive at great depths and have knowledge of underwater sea life. For example, names and classifications of fish and coral.
As an employee of the Nautilus you are required to show respect to everyone on board. You must always maintian professionalism. We expect nothing less than the best.
We hope to hear from you soon.
Sincerely,
Captain Nemo
mateo_amber

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Ms. Lee:
We would like to inform you that you are now welcome to come aboard the Nautalus as of March 1, 2004. After extensive review of your application and our conference we have decided that you are the best qualified for the job. You meet all of the criteria and we know that you will succeed.
If you choose to accept our offer, your starting salary would be 200 dramas and may increase with more experience and training. We would be departing on April 5, 2004 and will return on June 5, 2004.

Your position would require you to bring all necessary equipment and you will be reimbursed for all necessary purchases within the field. You will be required to dive at great depths and have knowledge of underwater sea life. For example, names and classifications of fish and coral.
As an employee of the Nautilus you are required to show respect to everyone on board. You must always maintian professionalism. We expect nothing less than the best.
We hope to hear from you soon.
Sincerely,
Captain Nemo
santana_yunnie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: You've Been Hired! Reply with quote

Dear Shannon O'Malley,

I have known you for years, and know you have a bubbly personality. I appreciate your hard work and friendly attitude on the Nautilus. However, I want to request that you sound a little more professional in your hiring letters.
Upon review of the attached letter, I feel that we would like to make a stricter atmosphere in this very important expedition. You know how I am. I want them scared first.
Next, I do want to say that it was a good idea of letting them know of the other veterinarian. Thank you for welcoming the newbie. Just don't be sooo nice next time. It doesn't go with our company's personality. (which means mine).

Yours truly,
Captain Nemo
OMalley_Shannon wrote:
Dear Brigette Gorrin,
First off, I want to thank you for your application for a Veterinarian aboard the Nautilus. I have been looking for some time now for a person with your experience. So in behalf of the entire crew, Welcome to the Nautilus!
Now with that out of the way, there are a few things I would like to discuss. We would prefer for you to start one month from today, which would be April 7. The Nautilus is currently about twenty thousand leagues under the sea and unfortunately we won’t be surfacing until then. We will be docked for exactly one week and during that time you will be receiving your training. With all of your experience, hopefully training will go fast and we will be able to leave according to schedule. Not to be strict, but I am a real stickler on deadlines, so please for your sake don’t be late.
During your training, mostly we will be familiarizing you with the boat and getting you comfortable in your work space. Settling in will be easy, everyone is very friendly down here! You will be sharing an office, where you will be caring for any animals that we might capture. Your new co-worker’s name is Gina and she will be helping you get familiar with everything.
We are starting your salary at 65,000 a year, and there are many opportunities for raises, including one that will bump you up to 67,000 after 6 months. Your hours will vary, but remember that you are one of the only two Veterinarians aboard and on call at all times.
Just a reminder: we will be out on the sea for months at a time and when we come home it is for an indefinite amount of time, so please be prepared for that.
We will be picking you up on April 7, at the Port of Los Angeles dock 309 promptly at 9am. If you need directions let me know.
Thank you again and I am much anticipating meeting you and welcoming you aboard. I ensure you that you will not be disappointed with this job, this will be an experience of a lifetime and you will have the privilege of experiencing things beyond your imagination.
Welcome!
-Shannon O’Malley
Nautilus Hiring Officer
Flores_Zach

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

marker_jamie wrote:
Dear Ms. Marker,

Thank you for your interest in coming aboard the Nautilus. We here in the department of human resources would like to welcome you aboard. You have been chosen to be the teacher for our entire submarine. You will get two thousand dollars a week and your room and food is included. Your salary could go up depending on how well you do and how well the crew learns from your teachings. If you make a new discovery you will receive three thousand dollars.

Your goal while on the ship is to teach all the crew members about the ocean and how it works. Also why it does the things it does. I want them to know everything there is to know about the ocean. I would also like them to learn the different types of fish which can be found in chapter fourteen. You will teach the crew in shifts. There will be five men per class and each class will last for two hours. When you are done with all the men you have the rest of the day to yourself. You can go anywhere on the ship and do whatever you feel like doing. You can bring any and as many personal belongings as you wish. You must bring any books or other materials you will need to teach.

Some of the rules you must follow are:
No fighting or arguing with any of the crew members/your students, especially Ned Land.
No going in Captain Nemo’s room unless he permits you to do so.
No talking about life on land.
Last rule is you cannot leave the submarine while you are still employed.
If you break any of these rules you will be fired and will not receive your paycheck for that week.

For information on where and when to get picked up please call 800-555-1414. We look forward to meeting you. Welcome aboard!!

Sincerely,

Human Resources Department

To whom it may concern:

I have been running quarterly checks on all departments and this month it is Human Resources. I am very pleased to see that thing are running very smooth.

It looks like you have been very thorough on what our goals are on the ship. You have covered all aspects of the position very well including salary and starting address. Very descriptive on the position giving details about other jobs and teaching aspects of the position

This was pretty well done. I almost want to demote myself so I can go to work for you as a teacher. That would be pretty insane though but wait a minute.... I AM HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HEE HEEE HEEE HAHAHA!!!!

Sincerely,
Captain Nemo
Flores_Zach

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: YOU'RE HIRED!! Reply with quote

ferguson_jaron wrote:
Dear Ms. Winds

Congratulations!!

Sincerely,
Johnson P. Maxwell
Nautilus Ship Incorporated

Dear Mr. Long Johnson p. Maxwell,

Your name really has a ring to it. Sounds like dirty movie actor out of the seventies. Anyways, back to the subject. I have been running checks on all of our departments here on the nautilus and your team there in Human Resources is doing a stand up job. Stand up job, my man.

You were very thorough in your description of the job. Not only did you list specifically what the job entails but you talked about our conduct here on the nautilus. This is of the utmost importance when it comes to sharing a very tight space with several individuals. There are some respect issues that need to be mentioned right away and it seams that you have done that quite well.

Now the salary is one issue I had a problem with. 50,000 a year I could see but are you saying 50,000 a month? That part is a little unclear. Either way it's proabably a little high. You know I'm relly rich but I'm cheap so we can't pay that kind of money out. Please advise our friend and new hiree that his salary will be considerably lower.

Sincerely,

Captain Nemo
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Introduction to Oceanography ONLINE with Professor Chamberlin Forum Index -> You've Been Hired All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14
Page 14 of 14

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum