Introduction to Oceanography ONLINE with Professor Chamberlin Forum Index Introduction to Oceanography ONLINE with Professor Chamberlin
for students enrolled in the SPRING 2004 ONLINE sections at Fullerton College

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

You've Been Hired
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Introduction to Oceanography ONLINE with Professor Chamberlin Forum Index -> You've Been Hired
View previous topic :: View next topic  
drc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 2:46 am    Post subject: You've Been Hired Reply with quote

Week 5: You've Been Hired! Respond to your letter of application or to one of your classmate's letter of application by informing them that they have been hired in no less than 250 words. Write your response as if you were one of Nemo's officers who does the hiring. Let them know what is expected of them on the job in terms of knowledge of oceanography and professional conduct. Be as specific as possible. Include chapters of the study guide or novel that they should read. Let them know when they can start and their starting salary. Respond to two of your classmate's hiring letters as if you were Captain Nemo. Is the letter clear? Does it include specific examples of knowledge that the hire-ee must have? Is the salary too high for the job? Comment in no less than 100 words for each classmate.
blodgett_stacy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 4:56 pm    Post subject: You've Been Hired Reply with quote

Dear Mr. Oceanic,

It is in great honors to welcome you aboard the Nautilus! After reviewing thousands of resumes, I am pleased to announce that we have decided to hand pick you to come aboard and work as Science Teacher of this great ship. After reviewing your resume, I find that you are highly educated in all areas expected to know.

I do expect you to read the manual of guidelines to the Nautilus and you will be quizzed on this the first day on the job. If for some reason, you do not pass, you will have 2 other times to retake the test. You will not be able to work until this test is passed and if for some reason you fail on the 3rd try, we will have to ask you to leave. You will also be expected to read 20,000 leagues under the sea by Jules Verne. You will be expected to incorporate this novel into you lesson plan for the students. You will receive 7 teacher books a month prior to starting work. The following subjects are as follows: Physics, Geology, Oceanography, Chemistry, Biology, Geography and Meteorology books to use for your lesson plan. By the first day at work, I expect you to have one months’ lesson plan prepared, which I will look over and approve. You will also be expected to review the following chapters in the Study guide: Scientific method, Ocean Facts, Properties of water, and Phytoplankton.

You will be paid for your time previous to starting work due to the amount of reading and work leading up to employment. This pay will be $2000.00. If you do not pass the quiz on the guidelines, and are asked to leave, you will be expected to pay that amount back. Your salary will be $90,000.00 with a bonus at every quarter, which is 4 months into your stay. Your students will be tested on all materials at the end of your 8-month period and if 90% get an 85% or better, you will get a $10,000.00 bonus, and be asked to stay on as Science Teacher aboard the Nautilus. Your 1st day on the job will be July 1, 2004 and we are looking forward to having you accompany us on our journey. If you have any questions, Please feel free to contact my Secretary, Mrs. Gossip at the following
Number 1-888-234-5678.

Welcome Aboard,

Sargent Smothers
Captain Nemos’ 1st Asst.
jackson_kimberly

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 8:46 pm    Post subject: ATTN: Ms. Mateo Reply with quote

Dear Ms. Mateo:

Thank you very much for your interest in the Assistant Marine Geophysicist position with the Nautilus. I have reviewed your letter of interest as well as your resume and I am very impressed. Your oceanographic qualifications are extensive and you seem confident in your knowledge and capabilities. Therefore, at this time, The Nautilus would like to extend employment to you.

Your salary will begin at 100 dramas a day which will increase depending on improvement. The Nautilus has all the equipment that you will need, so please do not feel tempted to bring anything with you. Please be prepared to work several hours a day working on catalogin and GSI projects for the Captain.

We require all employees to sign a Confidential Disclosure which has been enclosed for your review and signature. This basically states that you will not have any contact with the outside world during the period of your employment with the Nautilus, and that upon completion of your term of employment, you agree to be forever bound to silence of any of the information learned, witnessed or otherwise while aboard the ship.

There is also a Code of Conduct which each employee must adhere to which, to summarize requires the following:

- No vocal debates regarding religion, morals or politics with any person aboard the ship;
- No communication with non-employee passengers; and
- No land leave permitted for any reason within your term of employment.

We require that you be ready within 24 hours to meet at the South Bay Docks at 1:15am precisely, where a man named Mr. Maring will take you out 1 mile to sea in a red rowboat where you will be picked up for duty aboard the Nautilus. You will need to undergo an immediate physical before attending to your quarters and orientation.

Sincere Regards,

Sgt. K. Pepper
The Nautilus
blodgett_stacy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply to Kimberly Jackson Reply with quote

Kimberly,

I thought that you letter of employment to Ms. Mateo was very organized and well written. The letter informed the applicant that the policies aboard the ship are very strict and to the point. In the letter it states that Ms. Mateo’s qualifications are extensive, but it does not go into any detail of what they are. I also didn’t notice what she needed to do prior to starting to work, other than her physical. Your letter doesn’t state and study guides, notes, terms or novels that she should brush up on. I was quite intrigued by some of the words you used. For instance, What does the word Dramas come from? Also, I had no clue as to what GSI and Catalogin projects were. But they do seem interesting! I noticed that you letter stressed very highly just how secretive the job was and that the confidential disclosure was to be signed and turned in. I also like how this mystery man would come and row her to 1 mile out in the ocean, in a specific color of a rowboat. This job seems interesting and yet scary at the same time. Great job and good luck in all of your endeavors.

Stacy
Do_Khiem

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 3:59 am    Post subject: Your In Reply with quote

Dear Maria Henry:

Congratulations, I would like to inform you that you've been hired as the Nautilus psychologist. Please pack your bag immediatly and meet us at the long beach harbor for deportation.

I would like to further inform you about your responsibilites aboard the Nautilus. A psychologist is does more than determining peoples mental health, but a leader to fellow crewmen. You must lead your fellow crewmen in a manner that would respect the ocean and all its vast glory.
The men look up to you as a person of high character and much influence. Please take this opportunity to comptiplate your responsibilites.

The ocean is not a toy. Please treat it with respect and it will treat you the same. Your hours are 9-5 p.m. with a break at noon for an hour. You have not leave your room, you must ask for permission to use the bathroom. Your are expected to show up on time with a positive attitude. Your salary is $15 an hour will health and dental insurance. Your performance will be evaluated once a year for possible promotions and raises.

You start work monday morning, expect to see you soon.

Pete
Do_Khiem

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 4:11 am    Post subject: Response Reply with quote

Dear Kimberly Jackson:

I am pleased hear about your recent acceptance of the new Nautilus worker. Acceptance letter is a wonder to marvel at. Your requirments are clear and concise. Your words are articulate and precise. Your confidentality disclosure clause is a very nice element. The salary of dramas is very original and a very fair wage. I must believe by the way the letter is written, that you took very careful considerations to writting it. I not quite sure about not being able to bring any equipment on board. What if a person has a special pencil or trustly paper? I congratulate you on your well writtten paper.

Mr Captain Nemo
Do_Khiem

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 4:21 am    Post subject: Response Reply with quote

Dear Stacy Blodgett:

Your letter response to Mr. Oceanic was very well written. Your test requirement is a very interesting idea. The required reading is a very good idea, many employers require new workers to read manuals, especially a code of ethics. It is very nice that you had specific salaries and bonus set. I disagree when manatory test of the students. What if students come from a submarine with little property taxes? These students would start off with a grave disadvantage. The idea works in theory, but not in rational practical means. Your contact information is very inventive, Ms Gossip is very well-knowned and like in teh submarine community. Tahnk you for including contact information for the worker if he or she has any questions. Nice job.

Sincerly,

Captain Nemo
Do_Khiem

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 4:23 am    Post subject: Response Reply with quote

Dear Stacy Blodgett:

Your letter response to Mr. Oceanic was very well written. Your test requirement is a very interesting idea. The required reading is a very good idea, many employers require new workers to read manuals, especially a code of ethics. It is very nice that you had specific salaries and bonus set. I disagree when manatory test of the students. What if students come from a submarine with little property taxes? These students would start off with a grave disadvantage. The idea works in theory, but not in rational practical means. Your contact information is very inventive, Ms Gossip is very well-knowned and like in teh submarine community. Tahnk you for including contact information for the worker if he or she has any questions. Nice job.

Sincerly,

Captain Nemo
blodgett_stacy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply to Khiem Do for - You've been hired Reply with quote

Kheim,

Your hired letter of employment to Maria Henry was very clear and precise. It contained great information in regards to responsibily with the crewmen (hey why not women?) on the ship. You stressed that she needed not only be a Psychologist, but also a leader, someone they could look up to and respect. I didn't find in your letter anything stating what she needed to do prior to starting her job, such as brushing up on terms, reading and such. Your letter gave all the info needed as to starting and ending time, and pay. I must say, it must be a strict ship to live on if you can't leave your room or use the bathroom without permission. I did find a couple of spelling errors, but overall, I thought you did good! Keep up the good work!

Best Regards,
Stacy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 6:49 am    Post subject: youve been hired Reply with quote

Ana,
Congratulations! After reviewing your application and interviews we have decided to offer you the job. As explained in the interview there is a lot of communication involved in this job. As you come aboard with us on the Nautilus there are a few things that I would like to expand on. First of all, our code of conduct you will receive a manual explaining what is expected of you. I’ll try to summarize it for you. Honesty will be our first thing, always be honest with the crew and the people aboard the ship. If there is something that you don’t the answer to don’t lie! Second, be respectful and courteous aboard the ship there will people with different backgrounds and attitudes be respectful and not be judgmental. Third, be flexible there will be times when your lectures get cancelled or rearranged. Last of all please be confident, if you are confident your audience will be confident.

As you come aboard the Nautilus I would like to make some recommendations. Please refer to chapters 11-13 in your novel. I would especially encourage you to restudy and make notes on chapter thirteen. I would really like you to get acquainted with the study sections on the currents since some of our voyages will include the ocean. Please take your time and review what you think is necessary and also practice your language I recommend that you also read chapter eight. I have agreed on the salary that we talked about it seems fair to me and if you accept this I assume it is for you too. I hope to hear from you soon.

Ana
Ana Palafox

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 6:56 am    Post subject: You've been hired! Reply with quote

Ana,
Congratulations! After reviewing your application and interviews we have decided to offer you the job. As explained in the interview there is a lot of communication involved in this job. As you come aboard with us on the Nautilus there are a few things that I would like to expand on. First of all, our code of conduct you will receive a manual explaining what is expected of you. I’ll try to summarize it for you. Honesty will be our first thing, always be honest with the crew and the people aboard the ship. If there is something that you don’t the answer to don’t lie! Second, be respectful and courteous aboard the ship there will people with different backgrounds and attitudes be respectful and not be judgmental. Third, be flexible there will be times when your lectures get cancelled or rearranged. Last of all please be confident, if you are confident your audience will be confident.

As you come aboard the Nautilus I would like to make some recommendations. Please refer to chapters 11-13 in your novel. I would especially encourage you to restudy and make notes on chapter thirteen. I would really like you to get acquainted with the study sections on the currents since some of our voyages will include the ocean. Please take your time and review what you think is necessary and also practice your language I recommend that you also read chapter eight. I have agreed on the salary that we talked about it seems fair to me and if you accept this I assume it is for you too. I hope to hear from you soon.

Ana
apalafox

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 7:05 am    Post subject: You've been hired Reply with quote

Ana,

Ana
apalafox

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 7:11 am    Post subject: stacy Reply with quote

Hey Stacey,
I really like your acceptane letter to Mr. Oceanic. You seem very professional and strict at the same time. That's good. I think your letter is clear on waht you expect and what should be expected of you from Mr. Oceanic. I liked the way you emphasized the novel. I think that if I was getting hired from you I would be happy, but at the same time I would be very careful of keeping up with my studies.
Ana
apalafox

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 7:16 am    Post subject: Kimberly Reply with quote

Dear Kimberly,
I was very impressed with your letter of acceptance. You are a very detailed person which is really good. Your descriptions of the job are right on the dot. The salary took me from a loop I don't know what dramas are but wahtever they are they must be pretty good. I also like the way you out lined your requirements toward the bottom of your letter. You can tell that the person writing is a person of responsibility and dignity, ready to start guiding. I would be honored if I had a boss like this.
Ana

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: You've Been Hired Reply with quote

Dear Ms. Gutierrez:

We are honored to inform you that have been hired for the position of Underwater Tour Guide aboard the Nautilus. We were deeply impressed with you letter of application that it became evident that you are the applicant we desire for the following position. The high level of expertise that you currently possess as a tour guide provides us with the security that you will be able to successfully and effectively fulfill the position as the Underwater Tour Guide aboard the Nautilus.

The position as Underwater Tour Guide consists of basic requirements and duties such as the following:

*creating tours with an itinerary to follow
*daily visits to the grand salon in order to make new discoveries with
the aid of the "viewing glass"
*ability to classify organisms

These are some of the basic requirements and duties that are required for the following position. As these are the basics to the position we highly suggest that you incorporate any creativity that you percieve will be effective in fulfilling the position.

As it is obvious that you have an immense knowledge of the sea we don't believe that it is neccessary for you to further prepare yourself for the postion. If you would like to further educate yourself that is to your discretion. The only preparation we ask is that you provide a dummy tour itineray by e-mail so as to see what page we are on regarding the outline of the tours. This will allow us to settle the differences we may have befor your arrival.

Lastly, I would like to mention that we deeply appreciate your expertise and committment to the Nautilus. With this in mind, I would like to mention that your salary will be $150,000 plus free room and board.

Once again, I would like to congratulate you and welcome you on board the Nautilus. We hope to hear a respond from you as our departure is March 5, 2004. We look forward to your arrival!

Sincerely,

The Nautilus Hiring Department

drc wrote:
Week 5: You've Been Hired! Respond to your letter of application or to one of your classmate's letter of application by informing them that they have been hired in no less than 250 words. Write your response as if you were one of Nemo's officers who does the hiring. Let them know what is expected of them on the job in terms of knowledge of oceanography and professional conduct. Be as specific as possible. Include chapters of the study guide or novel that they should read. Let them know when they can start and their starting salary. Respond to two of your classmate's hiring letters as if you were Captain Nemo. Is the letter clear? Does it include specific examples of knowledge that the hire-ee must have? Is the salary too high for the job? Comment in no less than 100 words for each classmate.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Introduction to Oceanography ONLINE with Professor Chamberlin Forum Index -> You've Been Hired All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 1 of 14

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum