Introduction to Oceanography ONLINE with Professor Chamberlin Forum Index Introduction to Oceanography ONLINE with Professor Chamberlin
for students enrolled in the SPRING 2004 ONLINE sections at Fullerton College

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Letter of Application
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Introduction to Oceanography ONLINE with Professor Chamberlin Forum Index -> Letter of Application
View previous topic :: View next topic  
drc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 4:24 pm    Post subject: Letter of Application Reply with quote

Week 4: Letter of Application! Respond to your ad or a classmate's ad with a formal business letter not less than 250 words. The first paragraph of your letter should state the three main topics of your letter (i.e. the three reasons you are qualified for the job, i.e. respond to the ad). The next three paragraphs should expand on your reasons. The final paragraph should summarize your reasons again, request an interview and state the salary range you would be willing to accept. Your letter must consist of five (5) paragraphs as outlined here. Anything more or less will be rejected. Use your imagination. For heaven's sake, you do not have to actually have the qualifications. Make them up! Please include a portion of the ad to which you are responding or at least indicate the person (if not you) whose ad you are answering. Respond to two of your classmate's ads as if you were one of Nemo's officers in charge of hiring. Is their letter well-written? Do they meet the qualifications of the job? Are there any spelling or grammatical errors? (If so, reject their application immediately. Real employers do!) Let the person know what you consider to be their strengths and weaknesses and whether or not you would hire them or at least interview them in at least 100 words for each classmate.
blodgett_stacy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 6:36 pm    Post subject: Letter of Application Reply with quote

Dear Mrs. Gossip,

I am inquiring in regards to a position on the Nautilus as a Science Teacher. I saw your listing in the classified section of Ships R Us and am very much interested. Not only am I highly qualified for this position, but my love for the sea and working with all types of people will be a perfect match for what I am searching for. I am a dedicated and hard worker and I certainly don’t mind working the long hours stated in the ad.

My present occupation as a Full Time Science Assistant aboard the Great White ship along with my schooling will show you that I am perfect for this position of a lifetime. While attending school, I worked part time on the Great White. I graduated with my Bachelors degree with top honors from Maine Maritime. I then went on to get my Masters from the University of Hawaii School of Ocean and Earth Science Technology. I recently received my PH.D from MIT center for Meteorology.

I am currently a Science Asst. where I utilize all my degrees to the fullest. I currently conduct Oceanographic and meterographic surveys as well as study the findings that have been found on my excursions aboard the ship. I live, breathe, sleep the ocean and this is the only profession for me. I love the smell and taste of the fresh salt air at sea! I am very much aware of the duties that this job will entitle, and I am up for the challenge. I love interacting with people of all ages, ethnicity’s, and personalities. I am a well-rounded individual who gets along with others and I know how to be a mediator amongst all.

My awards will also show you the type of character that I am. In 2001, I received the Naval Meteorology award, and the Oceanography Command around from Maine Maritime. In 2002, I received the Coastal Civil Engineering award, along with the Marine Geophysicist of the year award from the University of Hawaii. I also received the Governor’s award for Well-rounded individual in 2003.

I hope that all of my information has been much help to you in deciding my future with your company. The salary listed in the ad is quite impressive for such a fun job. I would like to schedule an interview with you to discuss my schooling, love of the ocean and working with all people in greater lengths. Please contact me if you have any questions. Thank you for taking the time to review my resume and I look forward to hearing from you soon!

Best Regards,

Mr. Oceanic
Please see attached resume for further information.
rescia_diva

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Letter of Application Reply with quote

Dear Mrs. Blogget,
I am responding to the advertisement i saw in the local news paper and i was highly interested it communicating with you. The job description seems like a job that i would enjoy doing a lot and i know that i will be doing the job with my heart. I wanted to let you know that i have more than 4 years of experience as a science teacher and plus i love the ocean.
Currently, I am working at a school district thats called, "Teachers that Love to Teach Under the Sea." I also graduated from the top of my class at the American Teachers Foundation. I have experience working with one of the best teachers of all times all around the world and i also travel to teach a various schools besides the one I am at permanantly right now.
Another qualification that I have is that i speak various languages which are spanish, english, portugese, and german. This allows me to get to know the people i work with better and help them out any way possible.
My third qualification is that i love the ocean deeply and I know quite a bit about the ocean and all the oraganisms that live there, etc. And I am also studying to become a Marine Bioligist and receive my master Degree in that field.
I know that I am a very responsible and reliable and never miss a dayof work, and always on time, and i know if I do get this job, I would not let no one down. I am a very social person that likes to communicate with people all the time and willing to help them out in any way possible. I would love to have the chance to get interviewed and learn more about this job.
Sincerely,
Diva Rescia

Last edited by rescia_diva on Wed Feb 25, 2004 10:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
rescia_diva

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2004 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Letter of Application Reply with quote

Dear Captain Nemo,
My name is Diva Rescia and I am responding to your job advertisement in the local newspaper. The job description seems like a job of a life time for me. I have been doing cosmetology for fifteen years. My qualifications are that I have more than two years experience with cosmetology, I speak four different languages very fluently, and that I love the ocean.
Currently I own my own salon called Beautiful People Spa for the past ten years now. I graduated from the top of my class at American Cosmetology School. Many of my clients are music artist and actors/actress. So I had years of experience styling their hairs for the Grammy or Oscars Awards.
Another qualification is that I can speak English, Spanish, French, and German very fluently. This allows me to get to know my clients on board and be able to communicate with them. This also helps me understand how the crewmates would like to have their hair cut and or styled.
My third qualification is that I love the ocean and know many things about the ocean. I have a bachelor degree in oceanography. I am also studying to become a Marine Biologist too.
I am a reliable and responsible person who can handle this position. I have the experience, I am bilingual, and I have knowledge about the ocean. Your benefits are great along with the excellent pay. I am eager to meet and talk to new people everyday. I would like to be interview with you and learn more about this wonderful position.
Sincerely,
Diva Rescia
blodgett_stacy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 12:10 am    Post subject: reply to Diva Rescia Reply with quote

I thought that your letter was well written. Although, I was unclear as to what position you were applying for. You did not mention that in your letter. I am not sure if you are applying for A hairstylist, or language teacher and so on. Because you neglected to mention the position in question, I don't know if you are qualified. You seem like you have schooling and experience, but again I am not aware of the position you want. I would give you a chance to come in and interview. The fact that you speak many languages is a plus and would stand out in any resume. Also, you never mentioned anything about what your strengths are for this position. There isn't anything other than the languages that jump out and get my attention. Good Job though and keep up the good work!

Stacy
lopez_janelle

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 2:29 am    Post subject: letter of application Reply with quote

Summary of job I am applying for:

Are you tired of low salary, lousy benefits and a job that is dead end? Do you like to travel? Do you like to be rewarded for your individual accomplishments? Would you like to explore the aquatic environment, discover new new incredible life forms and get paid at the same time? Well then come get your feet wet and become a member of the Nautilus Deep Sea Explorers.The Nautilus Seaquest is looking for a scuba diver willing to go down below and discover new aspects about the beautiful world of the ocean. We want risk takers, not somebody who is scared to get a little salt in between their toes.

If I just described your future career above and your intresting in being a part of the Nautilus Deep Sea Explorers contact Captain Tillman at 1-800-EXP-LORE or captaintillman@comeaboardnautilus.com. Don't be afriad it's just a little salt water!

Letter:

February 25, 2004

Dear Captain Tillman:

I am writing inquire about becoming a member of the Nautilus Deep Sea Explorers. I would be a great candidate for the scuba diving position that you have listed in your advertisment. Not only have I been in the field of scuba diving for over 15 years, I am also highly educated in aquatic biology and am trained in the usage of dive calculators and computers.

In 1999, I was awarded the "Most Talented Scuba Diver In The World" award by the National Association of Scuba Divers. I earned this award by exploring the depths of the Pacific, Atlantic and Indian Oceans. During one particular dive in the Atlantic Ocean, I found a new class of fish (the scubaubbas), which merited the attention of several high class scuba diving journals as well as the National Assoication of Scuba Divers. After I conducted lab experiments on the scubbaubbas, I found that their blood could rid a human of the common cold. The scubbaubbas are now one of the most sought after classes of fish.

I graduated from UC Scuba Dive in 1985 with honors. During my time at the university, I studied under several renowned scuba divers. The professors at UC Scuba Dive affirmed my natural scuba diving talents and encouraged me to take the field beyond where it had been before. During my time at the university, I interned with the Monterey Bay Aquarium, helping them to classify fish and other sea creatures.

After my undergraduate studies at UC Scuba Dive, I enrolled at The Underwater Techical University to receive my masters degree in Underwater Technology. The Underwater Technical University provided me with the training to effectively operate dive calculators and computers. Even at depths of 20,000 leagues under the sea, I am able to maintain the compentency to operate technical systems effectively.

With my 15 years of scuba diving experience, awards, and degrees from UC Scuba Dive and The Underwater Technical University I am highly qualified to become a member of the Nautilus Deep Sea Explorers and fill the scuba diving position. I am willing to start work at $4,000/month. I ensure I will bring many benefits to the company. Please contact me at 555-1212 to schedule an interview at your convenience. My resume is attached for further information. References will be provided upon request. Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,
Janelle Lopez

555 Sea Street
Oceanana, CA 98748
janelle.lopez@biola.edu
555-1212
lopez_janelle

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 2:43 am    Post subject: Re: Letter of Application Reply with quote

blodgett_stacy wrote:
Dear Mrs. Gossip,

I am inquiring in regards to a position on the Nautilus as a Science Teacher. I saw your listing in the classified section of Ships R Us and am very much interested. Not only am I highly qualified for this position, but my love for the sea and working with all types of people will be a perfect match for what I am searching for. I am a dedicated and hard worker and I certainly dont mind working the long hours stated in the ad.

My present occupation as a Full Time Science Assistant aboard the Great White ship along with my schooling will show you that I am perfect for this position of a lifetime. While attending school, I worked part time on the Great White. I graduated with my Bachelors degree with top honors from Maine Maritime. I then went on to get my Masters from the University of Hawaii School of Ocean and Earth Science Technology. I recently received my PH.D from MIT center for Meteorology.

I am currently a Science Asst. where I utilize all my degrees to the fullest. I currently conduct Oceanographic and meterographic surveys as well as study the findings that have been found on my excursions aboard the ship. I live, breathe, sleep the ocean and this is the only profession for me. I love the smell and taste of the fresh salt air at sea! I am very much aware of the duties that this job will entitle, and I am up for the challenge. I love interacting with people of all ages, ethnicitys, and personalities. I am a well-rounded individual who gets along with others and I know how to be a mediator amongst all.

My awards will also show you the type of character that I am. In 2001, I received the Naval Meteorology award, and the Oceanography Command around from Maine Maritime. In 2002, I received the Coastal Civil Engineering award, along with the Marine Geophysicist of the year award from the University of Hawaii. I also received the Governors award for Well-rounded individual in 2003.

I hope that all of my information has been much help to you in deciding my future with your company. The salary listed in the ad is quite impressive for such a fun job. I would like to schedule an interview with you to discuss my schooling, love of the ocean and working with all people in greater lengths. Please contact me if you have any questions. Thank you for taking the time to review my resume and I look forward to hearing from you soon!

Best Regards,

Mr. Oceanic
Please see attached resume for further information.

Dear Mr. Oceanic,

Thank you for your interest in the Science Teacher position. I am pleased to see that you are highly educated and have had experience in closely related fields of study.

Your letter of application shows that you have carefully read the job qualifications. Your ability to communicate your desire to work as a Science Teacher on-board the Nautilus shows your competency in the fields of oceanography and teaching. I appreciated the personal description you gave of yourself (which helped show your love of the ocean and teaching) as well as your list of accomplishments. I would, however, like to find out more about your studies at the Hawaii School of Ocean and Earth Science Technology.

I would like to schedule an interview with you. I have interview slots available on Monday and Tuesday of next week between 9:00AM and 5:00PM. Please call me at 555-1212 (Ask for Janelle) by Friday to schedule your interview time.

Thanks again for the letter and I look forward to hearing back from you.

Sincerely,
Janelle Lopez
Director of Human Resources
The Nautilus
lopez_janelle

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 2:53 am    Post subject: Re: Letter of Application Reply with quote

rescia_diva wrote:
Dear Mrs. Blogget,
I am responding to the advertisement i saw in the local news paper and i was highly interested it communicating with you. The job description seems like a job that i would enjoy doing a lot and i know that i will be doing the job with my heart. I wanted to let you know that i have more than 4 years of experience as a science teacher and plus i love the ocean.
Currently, I am working at a school district thats called, "Teachers that Love to Teach Under the Sea." I also graduated from the top of my class at the American Teachers Foundation. I have experience working with one of the best teachers of all times all around the world and i also travel to teach a various schools besides the one I am at permanantly right now.
Another qualification that I have is that i speak various languages which are spanish, english, portugese, and german. This allows me to get to know the people i work with better and help them out any way possible.
My third qualification is that i love the ocean deeply and I know quite a bit about the ocean and all the oraganisms that live there, etc. And I am also studying to become a Marine Bioligist and receive my master Degree in that field.
I know that I am a very responsible and reliable and never miss a dayof work, and always on time, and i know if I do get this job, I would not let no one down. I am a very social person that likes to communicate with people all the time and willing to help them out in any way possible. I would love to have the chance to get interviewed and learn more about this job.
Sincerely,
Diva Rescia

Dear Diva,

Thank you for your letter of application. I am always delighted to receive letters from people that graduted from the American Teachers Foundation. The ATF has a highly rated ocean teaching program. Graduating at the top of your class is quite an accomplishment.

I think you could bring a lot of variety to the positions that are being offered. The fact that you speak four languages is a selling factor in your application. However, it is unclear what position you are interested in. We advertised several openings in the newspaper. When you contact us, please specify your interests.

Once again, thank you for your letter. I cannot offer you a position or an interview until you make some clarifications. You can contact me by calling 555-1212 (Ask for Janelle) or email at jobs@nautilus.com.

Thank you and I look forward to hearing from you in the future,
Janelle Lopez
Director of Human Resources
The Nautilus
mateo_amber

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 6:34 am    Post subject: Assistant Marine Geophysicst Reply with quote

Dear Mrs. Jackson,
I am replying to your ad in the paper for the opening of the Assistant Marine Geophysicst. I am really interested in the job opportunity and would love to communicate with you. I am currently working for a research facitlity and I have seven years experience with a PhD.
I love the ocean and exploring everything in it.
I am currently working for the marine research facility in Newport Beach. There I use systems such as the GSI and cataloging. I also work in marine stratigraphy. I love my work and feel I have a lot of knowledge for the job.
I have had Seven years experience aboard the Grand Star Ship. There I studied the ocean and the different animals, plants, and rocks. I started there as an intern and later was hired permanent. I am very used to confined areas and working under pressure.
I also am fluent in English, German, Spanish, French, Portugese, and Latin. I love the different languages and being able to communicate with all sorts of people around the world. I am also open to new things and am willing to learn more languages if needed.
I am a very reliable and responsible employee. I have never missed a day of work and am always looking for things to do. I love to keep busy and constantly learn new things. I enjoy meeting new people and learning new things from them. I am punctual and always get the job right the first time. I would love to be able to work for you and hope to hear from you very soon.
Sincerely,
Amber Mateo

See attached resume
mateo_amber

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Mr. Oceanic,
Thank you for you reply to our ad. It is highly in favor that you have had experience and education in the field. It is rewarding to see someone have such a love and interest in the ocean. Just the type of person that we are looking for.
It is obvious that you have met all of the qualifications and much more. You have accomplished so much and yet are still eager to learn and experience more. We would further like more informtion about your studies in Hawaii and in the Navy.
I would love to meet up with you and learn more about you and your interest in our job opportunity. I was hoping to be able to have an interview with you this upcoming Friday at 2:00pm. Please call me and leave a message with my secretary Ms. Fran at 545-9089
Sincerely,
Amber Mateo
mateo_amber

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 6:54 am    Post subject: Mrs. Lopez Reply with quote

Dear Ms. Lopez,
I found your letter of application to be very well written. There were a few grammatical errors. However, I feel that you meet all the qualifications required for this career.
We are very interested in you because of your 15 year experience and graduating with honors. We are also very interested in you because you have the computer system skills. Computers is a major part of the Scuba world.
We would love to schedule an interview with you to learn more about your love and interests of the ocean. We would like you to bring another copy of your resume as long as references. Your interview is scheduled on March 4th. If you have any questions or this date is not applicable to you please contact us at 890-0980 and we will try to reschedule. Thank you for your application.
Sincerely,
Amber Mateo
lee_adela

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 7:16 am    Post subject: Photographer Reply with quote

Dear Ms. Lee,
I am responding to your ad enquiring a photographer. I love to take pictures of those special momments and even of amazing creatures, such as the ones that live in the ocean. The ocean has always been a great love of mine. I love to surf, I love to study the animals and organisms in the ocean. I've always thought the ocean to be one big adventure waiting for me. I find this job opportunity to be well suited for me. I have 10 years experience, masters degree in photography from University of Santa Barbara, and I have all the equipment required.
I am currently traveling the world taking pictures for the National Geographic. I have seen and done many things. I can speak three different languages, english, spanish and french.
I also find myself qualified for the job due to the fact I have a masters degree from the University of Santa Barbara. Even before Santa Barbara I had started way back in high school. There is where I became acquainted with the different forms of photography, and most of all the darkroom. I found a passion for photography and continued my education at fullerton college where I then transfered to the University starting of with an associates degree. At the University of Santa Barbara I received many awards such as photographer of the year, and many of my projects were put up as examples.
Another qualification I have is I can supply all of my own equipment. I have everything needed for the job. I am also familiar with computers and the different types of image editing programs. I am very responsible, reliable, and punctual. I have a love for photography and an interest in the ocean. I feel that with my experience, education, and passion, I would like to start off with the yearly salary of $60,000. I would love to communicate with you and learn more about the job. Please contact me for an interview. I am available at any time, and day of the week. Thank you for your time.
Sincerely,
Adela Lee
henry_maria

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 4:39 pm    Post subject: Letter Of Application Reply with quote

Dear Board of the Nautilus,
WWW.Nautilujobs.com

I read your want ad for a submarine psychologist and wanted to express my interest in this position. I believe that you will find my qualifications more than meet your expectations. I have a masters degree in psychology, and I run my own private practice on land. I have had more than 10 years of schooling in the field of psychology. I also took up the study of oceanography about 5 years ago.

I obtained my Masters Degree in Psychology 3 years ago and am now working on my Doctorate. My thesis just so happens to be on the issues of confinement for long periods of time, which I think might be an issue that could arise on board the Nautilus. Therefore I must say that this position could be a great benifit for all those involved if it were filled with my presence.

I have much experience working with almost every population you could imagine ranging from homeless children to addicted adults, but my great love is individual therapy for persons dealing with confinement from society, whether it be prison, or a submarine. This is the main reason that I started my own practice after having worked in many other facilities. I really wanted to specialize in the area of confinement issues.

Regarding my experience at sea, I cannot say that I have an extensive background in this area. Though I must express that I do have a deep passion for the ocean and all of it's glorious wonders. I have study the ocean in many aspects over the past five years, and I am an experienced deep sea scuba diver. Though I am always open to learning more about the sea being that it is one of my great passions.

It would be a wonderful opprotunity for me and a great benifit to your crew to have me on board the Nautilus. I believe that I meet and exceed the qualifications that you are requesting and may I stress that I have no issue with being at sea and on call 24-7. The salary range that you mention of 45,000.00 plus 150.00 per client is more than acceptable for the experience that I would acquire upon the Nautilus. I owuld love to have the opprotunity to meet with the crew and find out if I am what you are looking for. I know that the environment aboard the Nautilus can be rather stressfull and confining and I am convinced that you will find that I posses the tools needed to assist your crew in dealing with these issues. I look forward to hearing from you and meeting with you in person. I can be reached day or night at (888)565-5565.

My sincere thanks for considering me for this position and your time,
Maria Henry
henry_maria

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 4:47 pm    Post subject: Letter of Application Reply with quote

Dear Mr. Oceanic,

We here at the Nautilus were very impressed with your application letter and resume. You appear to have the experience that we are looking for and we would love to meet with you in person to discuss the posibility of you joining our crew aboard the Nautilus. We are very pleased that you wish to join us and we find that your experience could be a great benifit to us. we hope that you will find the experience as fullfilling for you. If you are still interested in the position please don't hesitate to contact us to set up an interview we are anxious to meet with you. If you contact our Human Resources department they would be happy to schedule a meeting for you.
Thank you again for your interest,
Mrs. Gossip
blodgett_stacy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply to Maria Henry Reply with quote

Dear Ms. Henry,

I was pleased to come across your application. I am very excited to give you an interview along with a tour aboard our submarine. Your talents along with your education make you highly qualified for the position of Submarine Psychologist, and I want to express my interest in you for this position. At this time, we are holding limited spaces for interviews and you are scheduled to come in for yours on Saturday at 1:00pm. Come well rested because this is not your normal interview. It will last about 4 hours. Your letter states all your fact and is weel though out and written. I really like the part about your lack of experience on the ocean. It shows that you are honest and brave for admitting that. I look forward to see you soon. Good Luck and Best Regards,

Captain Nemo
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Introduction to Oceanography ONLINE with Professor Chamberlin Forum Index -> Letter of Application All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 1 of 16

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum