Introduction to Oceanography ONLINE with Professor Chamberlin Forum Index Introduction to Oceanography ONLINE with Professor Chamberlin
for students enrolled in the SPRING 2004 ONLINE sections at Fullerton College

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Prepare a Training Manual
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Introduction to Oceanography ONLINE with Professor Chamberlin Forum Index -> Prepare a Training Manual
View previous topic :: View next topic  
drc
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 2:47 am    Post subject: Prepare a Training Manual Reply with quote

Week 6: Prepare a Training Manual! Now that you've been hired, it's time to get to work. Unfortunately, you've discovered that the crewpersons assigned to you are poorly trained in oceanography. Prepare an outline of a training manual that includes all the specific knowledge areas in oceanography in which your workers should be prepared. Include in your outline specific textbook pages and THREE web sites that support their training. Be sure to include the URLs (addresses) of the web sites. Respond to two of your classmate's training manual outlines as if you were Captain Nemo. Is the outline logical and organized? Does it cover everything that the employees should know? Are the textbook pages the appropriate ones? Are the web sites satisfactory (you should go to the web sites and check them out briefly)? If you think their work is outstanding, give them a raise! If not, then encourage them to do better next time. Comment in no less than 100 words for each classmate.
cardoff_helen

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Hire Department.
Nautilus.

Employment Quidelines/Aboard Nautilus Training.

1) Report to human resources department: Bring a personal picture ID, drivers license, passport or any other official document.
Be prepared to be finger printed and photographed for your batch.
2) Report to the nurse for urine test and if you have taken any prescription drugs within the last 3 days, be prepared to itemize such.
We maintain zero tolerance to drug and alcohol substances.
3) Uniforms and supplies are to be picked up at the supply services. You'll be given three sets of uniforms and special no skit shoes. You will be responsible for keeping your uniforms and to look neat at all times. Laundry facilities at the lower deck are open 24/7
4) Report to administrative assistant. He will explain your assignments and what is expected of you. He will be the one in charge to assign all requests from the different departments. He will also assist you with all special equipment and supplies.
5) Staff meeting every Wed. at 10 am sharp is mandatory.
(Unless you are in a special assignment plan to attend!)
6) Relationship to other staff members, is expected to be polite and courteous We are in a confined space and it would not be easy to control reactions to annoyances. But control is a must. If you have a problem we recommend that you'll make an appointment to see the ship's psychologists.
7) Pastoral care: There is a Chaplain on board to assist with spiritual issues and or offer comfort when needed.

Above are the basic guidelines and resources. We hope it will be helpful to get you started and settle in.
As you do there will be additional on the job training and instructions for each assignment.
Welcome aboard!

Human Services Dept.
The Nautilus
apalafox

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 5:56 am    Post subject: Ana Reply with quote

SECTION 1-INTRODUCTION AND GENERAL POLICIES
Rights and obligations under law.................................................................1
Code of professional practices .....................................................................1
Obligation to report.....................................................................................1
Personnel policies ......................................................................................1

SECTION 2- EMPLOYMENT POLICIES
At will employer.........................................................................................2
Equal employment opportunity...................................................................2
Non discrimination.....................................................................................2
Confidentiality............................................................................................2
Promotions or transfers...............................................................................2
Benefits......................................................................................................2

SECTION 3- ORGANIZATION AND STRUCTURE
Personnel Administration............................................................................3
Daily schedule.............................................................................................3

SECTION 4-PERSONAL RECORDS
Changes in information...............................................................................4
Inspection of files........................................................................................4

SECTION 5- SALARY ADMINISTRATION
Promotions, transfers, and demotions..........................................................5
Merit increases............................................................................................5

SECTION 6- BENEFITS
Other expenses............................................................................................6
Health plans................................................................................................6
Retirement..................................................................................................6

SECTION 7- EDUCATION
Continuing education...................................................................................7
Foreign language.............................................................................8
Oceanography.................................................................................8

SECTION 8- STANDARDS OF CONDUCT & DISCIPLINE
Performance evaluation................................................................................9
Anniversary date..........................................................................................9
Distribution..................................................................................................9

SECTION 9- TERMINATION OF EMPLOYMENT
Reduction in staff or cutbacks.....................................................................10
Voluntary resignation.................................................................................10

SECTION 10- MISCELLANEOUS
Personal appearance..................................................................................11

SECTION 11- CONCLUSION..............................................................................12

Websites:
1)http://www.hcpss.org/tres/seven/Oceanographywebsites.htm
2)http://www.webcoin.net/html/tourguide.html
apalafox

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 6:18 am    Post subject: Helen Reply with quote

Helen
I think that your information is very well organized. I think that if I were if I were getting employed by you I would by organized. I think that I wiould like more details in the description of the physical aspects. Above all I see that you are very organized in your expectations. I think I would have organized more like you the way I did mine, I had no clue how to organize it for others. I did it like the way I would did the simple way. I'm in a pictorial point of view. I don't know that everything that can be easy.
Ana
stelea_daniela

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 10:16 pm    Post subject: Prepare a Training Manual! Reply with quote

Outline of a Training Manual

Part I. Basic Meteorology
1) Fundamentals of Meteorology
2) Atmospheric Physics
3) Atmospheric Circulation
4) Air Masses and Fronts
5) Climate and Climatology

Part II. Surface Weather
1) Weather Radar
2) Sea Surface Forecasting
3) Oceanographic Products and Tactical Decision Aids
4) Operational Oceanography
5) Special Observations and Forecasts

Part III. "20,000 League Under the Sea"
Ch 1: A Moving Reef
2: The Pros and Cons
3: Whatever Pleases Master
4: Ned Land
5: At Random
6: At Full Steam
Ocean Planet: http://seawifs.gsfc.nasa.gov/ocean_planet/

Ch 7: An Unknown Species of Whale
8: Mobilis in Mobile
9: The Wrath of Ned Land
10: The Man of the Waters
11: The Nautilus
12: Everything from Electricity
Instruments of Oceanography Training
http://www.sontek.com/training/oceanography.htm

Ch 13: Some Figures
14: The Black Current
15: A Letter of Invitation
Current Marine Data: http://www.oceanweather.com/data/

This self-study is organized into subject matter areas, each containing learning objectives to help you determine what you should learn along with
textbook to help you understand the information. The subject matter reflects day-to-day requirements and experiences of personnel in the rating or skill area.
Good luck on reading the outline and be prepared for next meeting

[/b]
williams_c

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Prepare a Training Manual Reply with quote

drc wrote:
Week 6: Prepare a Training Manual! Now that you've been hired, it's time to get to work. Unfortunately, you've discovered that the crewpersons assigned to you are poorly trained in oceanography. Prepare an outline of a training manual that includes all the specific knowledge areas in oceanography in which your workers should be prepared. Include in your outline specific textbook pages and THREE web sites that support their training. Be sure to include the URLs (addresses) of the web sites. Respond to two of your classmate's training manual outlines as if you were Captain Nemo. Is the outline logical and organized? Does it cover everything that the employees should know? Are the textbook pages the appropriate ones? Are the web sites satisfactory (you should go to the web sites and check them out briefly)? If you think their work is outstanding, give them a raise! If not, then encourage them to do better next time. Comment in no less than 100 words for each classmate.

TRAINING MANUAL: ENTERTAINMENT DIVISION

I) INTRODUCTION: Why this manual is in need.
    1) No kowledge of certain aspects of the ocean

2) too many complaints

A) Sea Pressure:
    1) crew members not used to the difference between water and land.
    2) Read pg. 18 of "The Remarkable Ocean World of Jules Verne: A Study Guide For Twenty Thousand Leagues Under The Sea."
    3) Chart of atmosphere weight in comparison to pounds.
    4) pg. 25 of "Twenty Thousand Leagues Under The Sea"
    5) explore website: http://www. usatoday.com/weather/wbarocx.htm

B) Our Power:
    1) Everything is powered by electricity.
    2) How is this done?
    3) pgs. 77-82 of "20,000 Leagues Under The Sea."
C) Food:
    1) Why we eat what we eat

3) pg. 153 of "The Remarkable Ocean World of Jules Verne."
    4) Overfishing: pg 190 of "The Remarkable Ocean World of Jules Verne."

II) CONCLUSION:
    1) Take what you have learned and apply it to how you live aboard the Nautilus
    2) Choreography will be given with the above knowledge
    3) When not at practice, learn about the ocean to the best of your ability and rest.
Thank you,
Christina Williams
Director of Choreography

williams_c

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Ana Reply with quote

apalafox wrote:
    SECTION 1-INTRODUCTION AND GENERAL POLICIES
    Rights and obligations under law.................................................................1
    Code of professional practices .....................................................................1
    Obligation to report.....................................................................................1
    Personnel policies ......................................................................................1

SECTION 2- EMPLOYMENT POLICIES
    At will employer.........................................................................................2
    Equal employment opportunity...................................................................2
    Non discrimination.....................................................................................2
    Confidentiality............................................................................................2
    Promotions or transfers...............................................................................2
    Benefits......................................................................................................2

SECTION 3- ORGANIZATION AND STRUCTURE
    Personnel Administration............................................................................3
    Daily schedule.............................................................................................3

SECTION 4-PERSONAL RECORDS
    Changes in information...............................................................................4
    Inspection of files........................................................................................4

SECTION 5- SALARY ADMINISTRATION
    Promotions, transfers, and demotions..........................................................5
    Merit increases............................................................................................5

SECTION 6- BENEFITS
    Other expenses............................................................................................6
    Health plans................................................................................................6
    Retirement..................................................................................................6

SECTION 7- EDUCATION
    Continuing education...................................................................................7
    Foreign language.............................................................................8
    Oceanography.................................................................................8

SECTION 8- STANDARDS OF CONDUCT & DISCIPLINE
    Performance evaluation................................................................................9
    Anniversary date..........................................................................................9
    Distribution..................................................................................................9

SECTION 9- TERMINATION OF EMPLOYMENT
    Reduction in staff or cutbacks.....................................................................10
    Voluntary resignation.................................................................................10

SECTION 10- MISCELLANEOUS
    Personal appearance..................................................................................11

SECTION 11- CONCLUSION..............................................................................12

Websites:
    1)http://www.hcpss.org/tres/seven/Oceanographywebsites.htm
    2)http://www.webcoin.net/html/tourguide.html

Ana,
    I like the way your outline looked. I like that you covered all aspects of the emoployment process. However, I feel that it was not enough information to display the need of Oceanography. I needed you to inform your department of Oceanography information in which they lacked. I do not feel that the websites you chose to include went along with this outline either. Basically I wanted you to create an outline for a manual for your department that would better train them for life at sea. However, you did not. Therefore, I would like you to re-write one that would.

Thank you,
    Captain Nemo
    henry_maria

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 11:03 pm    Post subject: Preparing a Training Manual Reply with quote

ATTN: Psychology Dept. Crew

It has come to my attention that those of you assigned to my department crew have not adequately prepared or been educated in the minimal area's of oceanography that are required and pertinent for you to be able to effectively assist the crew of the Nautilus. Though well educated in the field of psychology it is imperative, to the well being of the crew and those persons whom may seek your guidance, that you obtain the proper knowledge of what said person's are to encounter in their postions aboard the Nautilus. Therefore I ask that all of you familiarize yourself with the following material that I have provided. I do believe that you will find this information to be of great benefit to yourself and to the crew of the Nautilus that you serve. For your convenience the following sources will be on hand in the Study.

Text #1- "Twenty Thousand Leagues Under The Sea" By, Jules Vern

Text #2- "Essentials Of Oceanography" Edition 2, By Tom Garrison

Along with the above mentioned texts you will also have access to the internet in order to look up the sites listed in the manuel, you may also use this source yo do further exploring of your own. Not to mention that I have included the required hand outs in the manuel. I hope you enjoy this wonderful opprtunity to learn.

Sincerely,
    Maria Henry
    Head of Psychology Board of Nautilus

PSYCHOLOGY CREW MANUAL

1) OCEAN NAVIGATION

-Read pages 30-32 in Text #1

-Study the insert "How To Read A Map" provided in manual

-Review pages 329-333 in Text #2

-Visit, http://stommel.tamu.edu/~baum/paleo/ocean-maps.html

2) OCEAN LIFE

-Read pages 94-98 along with chapters 16,17, & 24 in Text #1

-Study chapters 13 (Pelagic Communities), & 14 (Benthic
    Communities) in Text #2

- Visit, http://www.enchantedlearning.com/subjects/ocean/
    See also "ocean animal printouts" link on this site

3) OCEAN CIRCULATION & TIDES

- Study chapters 7-10 in Text #2

-Visit, http://co-ops.nos.noaa.gov/restles1.html [b]
    williams_c

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cardoff_helen wrote:
    The Hire Department.
    Nautilus.

Employment Quidelines/Aboard Nautilus Training.

1) Report to human resources department: Bring a personal picture ID, drivers license, passport or any other official document.
    Be prepared to be finger printed and photographed for your batch.
    2) Report to the nurse for urine test and if you have taken any prescription drugs within the last 3 days, be prepared to itemize such.
    We maintain zero tolerance to drug and alcohol substances.
    3) Uniforms and supplies are to be picked up at the supply services. You'll be given three sets of uniforms and special no skit shoes. You will be responsible for keeping your uniforms and to look neat at all times. Laundry facilities at the lower deck are open 24/7
    4) Report to administrative assistant. He will explain your assignments and what is expected of you. He will be the one in charge to assign all requests from the different departments. He will also assist you with all special equipment and supplies.
    5) Staff meeting every Wed. at 10 am sharp is mandatory.
    (Unless you are in a special assignment plan to attend!)
    6) Relationship to other staff members, is expected to be polite and courteous We are in a confined space and it would not be easy to control reactions to annoyances. But control is a must. If you have a problem we recommend that you'll make an appointment to see the ship's psychologists.
    7) Pastoral care: There is a Chaplain on board to assist with spiritual issues and or offer comfort when needed.

Above are the basic guidelines and resources. We hope it will be helpful to get you started and settle in.
    As you do there will be additional on the job training and instructions for each assignment.
    Welcome aboard!

Human Services Dept.
    The Nautilus

Helen,
    I am pleased that you could write the steps out for all those coming aboard. However, I asked you to write up an outline for a training manual that could be used to train those in your department. It is the best to my knowledge that I also asked for websites they could research for better understanding. I remember giving you a book and a study guide to use during your orientation process. Those would have been perfect to use as materials for this activity. I hope you can rewrite an outline that can be of more use to your department.

Thanks,
    Captain Nemo
    henry_maria

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 11:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Prepare a Training Manual Reply with quote

williams_c wrote:
    drc wrote:

TRAINING MANUAL: ENTERTAINMENT DIVISION

I) INTRODUCTION: Why this manual is in need.
      1) No kowledge of certain aspects of the ocean

2) too many complaints

A) Sea Pressure:
      1) crew members not used to the difference between water and land.
      2) Read pg. 18 of "The Remarkable Ocean World of Jules Verne: A Study Guide For Twenty Thousand Leagues Under The Sea."
      3) Chart of atmosphere weight in comparison to pounds.
      4) pg. 25 of "Twenty Thousand Leagues Under The Sea"
      5) explore website: http://www. usatoday.com/weather/wbarocx.htm

B) Our Power:
      1) Everything is powered by electricity.
      2) How is this done?
      3) pgs. 77-82 of "20,000 Leagues Under The Sea."
    C) Food:
      1) Why we eat what we eat

3) pg. 153 of "The Remarkable Ocean World of Jules Verne."
      4) Overfishing: pg 190 of "The Remarkable Ocean World of Jules Verne."

II) CONCLUSION:
      1) Take what you have learned and apply it to how you live aboard the Nautilus
      2) Choreography will be given with the above knowledge
      3) When not at practice, learn about the ocean to the best of your ability and rest.
    Thank you,
    Christina Williams
    Director of Choreography

ATTN: Christina

I have read the manual and I must say that I am very pleased with the work that was put into it. I checked out the web sites that you listed in the manual and found that you truelly did your research. I want to extend my gratitude in a job well done. I am very much looking forward to the production that you and your entertainment crew will provide for the Nautilus. I wanted to also let you that due to your extrordinary job on this task I see fit to offer you a raise in salary, and if I come to find that the production meets my expectatiuons there is a possibilty of a bonus attached to this raise. Once again thank you so much and I hope you are aware of what a true asset you are to the Nautilus.

Sincerely,
      Captain Nemo
      henry_maria

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 11:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Prepare a Training Manual! Reply with quote

stelea_daniela wrote:
      Outline of a Training Manual

Part I. Basic Meteorology
      1) Fundamentals of Meteorology
      2) Atmospheric Physics
      3) Atmospheric Circulation
      4) Air Masses and Fronts
      5) Climate and Climatology

Part II. Surface Weather
      1) Weather Radar
      2) Sea Surface Forecasting
      3) Oceanographic Products and Tactical Decision Aids
      4) Operational Oceanography
      5) Special Observations and Forecasts

Part III. "20,000 League Under the Sea"
      Ch 1: A Moving Reef
      2: The Pros and Cons
      3: Whatever Pleases Master
      4: Ned Land
      5: At Random
      6: At Full Steam
      Ocean Planet: http://seawifs.gsfc.nasa.gov/ocean_planet/

Ch 7: An Unknown Species of Whale
      8: Mobilis in Mobile
      9: The Wrath of Ned Land
      10: The Man of the Waters
      11: The Nautilus
      12: Everything from Electricity
      Instruments of Oceanography Training
      http://www.sontek.com/training/oceanography.htm

Ch 13: Some Figures
      14: The Black Current
      15: A Letter of Invitation
      Current Marine Data: http://www.oceanweather.com/data/

This self-study is organized into subject matter areas, each containing learning objectives to help you determine what you should learn along with
      textbook to help you understand the information. The subject matter reflects day-to-day requirements and experiences of personnel in the rating or skill area.
      Good luck on reading the outline and be prepared for next meeting

[/b]

ATTN: Daniela

I must commend you on a very thorough job in creating the training manual that I requested. I do believe that this would be a great manual to provide the crew of any department aboard the Nautilus. I do just have to ask what areas are particularlly important to your department? I was very impressed though I don't know that it is necessary for all departments to require such extensive knowledge. Please let me know is there a specified time that the crew must familiarize themselves with this knowledge? ASgain I am ain complete awe of how thorough this manual is. If this is a trait that I can expect from you in the future I must confess that you will need a pay raise. Good job.

Sincerely,
      CAptain Nemo
      Do_Khiem

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 12:03 am    Post subject: asdf Reply with quote

Preface: Oceanography is the study of the deep sea and shallow coastal oceans including their biology, chemistry, geology and physics. Oceanography is a diverse interdisciplinary science. The oceans are part of the thin, outer shell of the Earth that is the home of all the known life in the Universe. The ocean is very important to our understanding of earth and is an important part in biological cycle of the earth.

1. The ocean is a life changing commitment.
      Oceanographers are committed to understanding the intricacies of the ocean. It is impossible to work a regular eight hour work day and become a successful oceanographer. The ocean is something you must cherish and willing to sacrifice. A positive attitude is critical. An oceanographers life is the ocean, acceptance of this make will prove invaluable. See “Oceanography: The Life, The legend, The Myth” p. 212 By Apu Nahaspadalan

2. Dr. Shoemaker’s Code of Ocean Ethics
      Oceanographers should become aware that their actions have grave consequences. Any information collected in the field should be verifiable. All information should be legitimate and from field studies. In no way shall oceanographers tamper with experiments that will any way skew results. Oceanographers are held to the highest regard and should attempt to live up to expectations. For more information go to: http://www.aslo.org/

3. The Scientific Method.
      Oceanographers as scientist must adhere to certain rules. The scientific method is a foundation for creating questions and theories about the world. Oceanographers must use sound objective information to form their beliefs. Adherence to the scientific method is crucial to the stability and reliability of scientific information. For more information go to:

4. Training
      The field of Oceanography cannot be fully learned at a desk under a lamp. All oceanographers learn through hands on experience in the field. Oceanographers learn the methods in collecting and analyzing information from field experiments. But practical ocean knowledge should be learned before hand. The ability to analyze information from field experiments is crucial. Many times, experiments will be conducted with scientist with many differing expertise. This time is imperative to learning the methods of scientific information gathering. For more information go to: http://www.oceansonline.com/oceanfacts.htm

5. Use in Case of Emergency
      Oceanography involves close interaction with the ocean. Many times, experiments involve boats in the middle of the ocean. The ocean is a very fickle place, and emergencies many arise. Always prepare for worst case scenario. First, prepare by packing first aid kits, GPS modules, floatation devices for all crewmembers, fresh water, and other items needed to a worst case survival situation. Second, let it be known to others not going on the expedition that you are in the middle of the ocean. Make clear the date of return and procedure in case date is not met. For more information See “Ocean Survivor: Out Last, Out Wit, Out Play” p. 333 by Juan Valdez

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 2:19 am    Post subject: Training Manual Reply with quote

A Training Manual from the Recruitment Services.
      [color=blue][size=18]Section 1: Introduction[/color][/size]
      a. Getting started (what to bring)
      b. Basic Knowledge of Oceanography (see the website
      www.mhhe.com/earthsci/geology/duxfund4e )

Section 2: Understanding the Ocean

a. Pressure under the sea (read pages 18-25 in "Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea")
      b. Temperature and Seasons (see Website www.theweatherchannel.com)
      c. Tides (see tide table at www.oceansonline.com)

Section 3: Policies

a. Standards and Policies
      b. Reasons for Termination of employment

Section 4: The Nautilus
      a. Basic structure of the Nautilus
      b. electricity (read pages 77-82 in "Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea")
      c. Everyday life aboard the Nautilus

Section 5: Benefits

a. Room and Board
      b. Dinning
      c. Discounts
      d. Health Insurance

Please Review the following and contact us at www.oceanquestion.com
      Thank You,
      Nautilus Recruitment Services

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My names is amber mateo and i Posted the training manual previous but for some reason it posted under guest when I was signed on
      amber_mateo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 2:31 am    Post subject: reply training manual Reply with quote

Christina- I thought that your training manual was very well organized. You even included page numbers. I think that the websites did relate and were useful. I believe that your manual had everything a new employee should and needs to know. I think that you could include a section about life at sea and what it is going to be like. Give examples from the book that can give them a mental image of what life is like on a boat in the middle of the ocean. Just so that the new employees can be prepared for the life their about to emark. Otherwise I think over well it was very organized and imaginitative training manual.
      amber mateo
      Post new topic   Reply to topic    Introduction to Oceanography ONLINE with Professor Chamberlin Forum Index -> Prepare a Training Manual All times are GMT
      Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
      Page 1 of 3

Jump to:  
      You can post new topics in this forum
      You can reply to topics in this forum
      You cannot edit your posts in this forum
      You cannot delete your posts in this forum
      You cannot vote in polls in this forum