Global Warming Awareness Day - November 15, 2006 - by YOU!
by Sean Chamberlin - Wednesday, 13 September 2006, 05:27 PM
  May I have your attention please...?

I am not Slim Shady but I am here to tell you that we finally have a date for OUR Global Warming Awareness Event, formerly known as your Climate Summit Project.

Mark your calendar for Wednesday, November 15, 2006, 10am-2 pm.

On this momentous occasion, we will use every means possible--presentations, lectures, on-site surveys, brochure dissemination, photo booths, greenhouse demonstrations, music, singing, magic, drum circles, t-shirt sales, sticker sales, plant sales, electric moped sales, whatever sales (as long as it's legal and approved for sale), dunk tanks, solar panel demos, windmills, etc.--to educate our campus about global warming, its impacts, and its solutions. The sky's the limit...literally. Just remember--everything you do must have scientific validity, it must be sincere, and it must reflect upon the issue of global warming (including science, environment, social, economic, or political aspects).

Listed on every home page is a PDF document, called Climate Missions. This list is a suggested list. Nearly every day I think of more ideas... if you have a great idea, e-mail me and let's talk.

Every student in all of my courses needs to belong to a team of FOUR, not three, not five, but FOUR. The campus classes have already formed teams (but if you were absent you need to find a team). This is the first request for online students to form teams.

Everyone MUST be in a team or you'll drop 300 big ones...points, that is, because that's what this assignment is worth.

When you have found a team of four, choose a mission, and e-mail me with the full names of the team members and your missions. I will create a bulletin board for your group (somehow, somewhere...more details later).

Each team must send me your group members and mission no later than 1155PM, Saturday, September 30, 2006. If you do not, I will assign you to a group and a mission.

You do not have to be present at the event (although, of course, we would love to have you) but you do need to contribute in some visible way to the event. It might mean contributing to a web site or podcasting or blogging or creating a global warming myspace account that we can tell people about at the event. Whatever it is, put your heart into it and make it count.

Tell your friends, family, loved ones, pets, bosses, anyone who might be interested and who might want to participate. If you want to invite radio stations, TV stations, news reporters, mayors, governors, presidents, businesspeople, or celebrities, by all means do.

I truly believe that it is possible for every individual to make a difference in this world. Through this event, we can show our community that we are concerned about the future state of our planet and that we are willing to start taking steps to insure its habitability for our children and future generations.

This is going to take some organizing, so if you are a natural leader capable of assuming a bit of extra responsibility, please contact me and let me know.

Otherwise, if you have any questions, please e-mail me.

Re: Global Warming Awareness Day - November 15, 2006 - by YOU!
by Belinda Rodriguez - Wednesday, 13 September 2006, 07:06 PM
  sounds fun. smile
by Melissa Otis - Thursday, 14 September 2006, 12:53 AM

This is an awesome assignment, not even an assignment, but chance to get people to care about what is happening in our world.  THis will be a lot of fun to think about and create. 

by Diana Navarro - Thursday, 14 September 2006, 08:43 PM
  It's exciting to put our minds together to accomplish a task so great to have an impact on our atmosphere. So hopefully our children's children's children will thank Dr. Chamberlin's Oceanography class for a job well done!! wide eyes
by Scott Mickelsen - Friday, 15 September 2006, 06:14 PM
  Sounds great to me...this could be a really awesome event and definitely lots of fun.
by Tala Romero - Saturday, 16 September 2006, 11:18 PM
  I also agree that everyone can make a difference in this world, and we all have something to contribute. I wished I lived closer to join in all the activities. It sounds like a lot of fun. Thank you for organizating this very worth while event.
Tala Romero
by Ana Albarran - Sunday, 17 September 2006, 05:48 PM

I think this is great!

It is good to show some information about what is going on in our environment and make people care for it. big grin

by Nathaniel Nate - Sunday, 17 September 2006, 07:17 PM

This sounds like a fun project. I think what i want to do is the my space thing. I am not completely 100 percent sure about what we are supposed to do but i am sure that i will figure it out.

Nate

by Nicole Christman - Thursday, 28 September 2006, 08:14 PM

Mr. Chamberlin,

This is Nicole Christman and Im an in a group with 2 other people and we are trying hard to find a 4th person, we thought that maybe on the day of the event we could pass out a brochure or make a brochure to make people more aware about global warnming. Is this okay for our mission? If you could please email me at nlchristman@yahoo.com i would greatly appreciate it. Have a good weekend

-Nicole Christman