] This page is [
Dr. Chamberlin's Fall 2002 Online Course Guidelines
This page last updated:
Tuesday, September 3, 2002 2:59 PM
11. Assignments: Introductions
The first couple weeks of the semester are typically the most chaotic. If you
feel dazed and confused, fear not: you are not alone.
One of the best ways to get rocking and rolling in an online course is to get
to know your classmates and to develop a tight-knit learning community for academic
and moral support. Working together with others may be one of the most difficult
experiences you will ever encounter but it's worth it. Keep an open mind, swallow
your pride, be humble and realize that every single person in this world has
something to teach you.Take the cotton out of your ears and put it in your mouth.
You may be amazed what insights you can gain from others if you are willing
Assignment 1- Who Are You, Matey?
Our first assignment is designed to get us familiar with posting to the discussion
board and to help us get to know each other. To complete it, follow these simple
- go to http://www.oceansonline.com/phpbb/
This is the site of our online discussion board.
- click on the link at the top marked Register and proceed.
- enter a username composed of your last name and first name (or initial),
in lower case letters, separated by the underscore symbol. DO NOT use any
other combination for a username. If someone has that username, then use your
middle name as well. For example, my username would be chamberlin_sean or
chamberlin_william_sean. Usernames not conforming to these standards will
- enter an e-mail address where you can receive e-mail immediately. You will
need to access this e-mail address immediately to activate your account. Otherwise,
if you do not activate your account within 24 hours, it will be deleted.
- enter a password and write it down somewhere where you can always find it.
WRITE IT DOWN!
- enter any other information you wish to share if you wish to share it. If
you want a signature to appear at the end of all your posts, like your name
or your favorite saying, then type it into the box marked signature
- select YES for show e-mail address and select NO for hide online status.
That way, we can find you!
- select YES for everything else, make sure the time zone is Pacific and you're
- click on Submit
- check your e-mail address for the activation code and follow the instructions
to acticate your account
- click on Login at the top of the discussion board. Choose Log me on automatically.
- select the first topic, Who Are You, Matey? by clicking on it.
- read the first message in that topic, my message, by clicking on it.
- then click on Post Reply or Quote to respond to my message and introduce
- DO NOT click on NEW TOPIC ever (unless you are in your own private discussion
board). Incorrect postings will be deleted.
- make sure that you are logged in and that your post was submitted under
your username. Click on your message and see that it's registered under your
name. If it says GUEST, then you have not logged in properly and you will
need to log in again. All GUEST postings will be deleted.
- you can check your number of posts, edit your profile information and contact
your classmates using the links at the top of the discussion board. Explore
them, read the FAQs and familiarize yourself with the operation of this board.
You will need to know it intimately by the third week of classes.
- in addition to posting your introduction, reply to at least TWO of your
classmates' postings. You should have a total of three (3) posts for this
This assignment is due no later than 1159PM, Sunday, August 25, 2002. The time
is determined at http://www.time.gov. Completion
of all parts of this assignment earns you ten (10) points. Partial assignments
receive zero (0) points.
Assignment 2 - What's Your Learning Style?
- go to page 207 of the study guide and read it
- go to http://www.metamath.com//lsweb/dvclearn.htm
(revised from study guide) and read the information there
- take the learning styles survey and make notes on your results, i.e. what
kind of learner are you, according to the survey
- go to http://www.ldrc.ca/projects/miinventory/miinventory.php?
and read about the eight styles of learning
- take the multiple intelligences survey by filling out the required information
and clicking on Begin at the bottom of the page. Make notes on your results.
- go to http://www.cmi-lmi.com/kingdom.html
and read the information on Kingdomality there.
- take the Kingdomailty Personal Preference Profile by clicking on Enter at
the bottom of the page. Make notes on your results.
- go to http://www.oceansonline.com/phpbb/
and log in (if you weren't logged in automatically. make sure you select automatic
log in, it helps insure that your posts are properly credited)
- click on the topic What's Your Learning Style? and click on the my message
there (it should be the first one)
- using the notes that you took from each of the three surveys, answer the
questions posted in my message. Make sure you Post Reply or Quote to my message.
Under no circumstances should you post a new topic. Any new topics will be
- read what other classmates have posted and respond to TWO of their postings.
You should have a total of three (3) posts for this assignment.
This assignment is due no later than 1159PM, Sunday, September 1, 2002. The
time is determined at http://www.time.gov.
Completion of all parts of this assignment earns you ten (10) points. Partial
assignments receive zero (0) points.
That's not too hard, is it?
back to contents | next