The following questions and concepts will help you prepare for Online Exam
- How many online exams will be given this semester and how many can you drop?
- What are X-games and how do you earn points with X-games?
- What information should be placed at the top of all e-mails sent to your
- How many on-campus exams (midterms and finals) will be given this semester?
- Where should you go to find the links for all the required reading materials
in the course?
- What page on this web site keeps you up to date with news, announcements,
clarifications and events?
- How can you have course news and announcements delivered to your personal
- What are forums and how are they useful?
- What assignment must be completed before you receive a username and password
to take exams?
- Why is just reading a poor way to study for an exam and what steps can you
take to make sure you know and understand the reading material?
- Define world ocean and oceanography.
- How does the concept of six degrees of separation apply to oceanography?
- What percentage of the surface of our planet is covered by oceans?
- What percentage of water on our planet is contained in the oceans?
- Where is the deepest point in the ocean and how deep is it?
- Name the three major oceans. Which one is largest? Which one is deepest?
- What is the Monterey Bay submarine canyon?
- What is the average temperature of the ocean?
- Microscopic plants in the ocean are known as _______________.
- What is the largest animal in the ocean?
- What is the largest living structure on Earth?
- What animal supplies the largest percentage of protein to humans on our
- Why is overfishing harming the oceans?
- What is the Gaia Hypothesis and who first proposed it?
- What is homeostasis? Give an example in humans.
- What is the significance of chemical equilibrium or non-equilibrium in a
- What are the seven properties of living organisms?
- What is thermoregulation?
- What are coccolithophorids and what role might they play in cloud formation?
- What are cloud condensation nuclei (CCN) and what chemical acts as a CCN?
- What is the difference between the strong Gaia hypothesis and the weak Gaia
- Define the beach, the foreshore, backshore, offshore and low-tide terrace.
- What kinds of materials can beaches be made of?
- What is a beach scarp?
- What is a beach cusp?
- What region defines the coastal ocean?
- What is a sand bar?
- What are low-energy or high-energy waves and when do they typically occur?
- How do low energy waves affect the beach face?
- How do high energy waves affect the beach face?
- What is the longshore current?
- What is longshore transport?
- Explain the statement: "The beach is dynamic, like a river of sand."
- What are the two most common minerals on our local beaches?
- Where does the sand on our beaches come from?
- What role do rivers play in beach processes?
- What river that flows next to Edison Field supplies sand to beaches south
of Newport Beach?
- Why doesn't sand pile up at the mouths of rivers where they meet the sea?
- Where does the sand on our beaches eventually end up?
- What are barrier islands and where do they most commonly occur?