Hands-On Assignment: Reading a Tide Table
Name __________________________ Section __________ Date __________
Print this sheet and write your answers in the space provided. Please do not retype this sheet. Use the back if necessary.
Use the tide chart linked here to answer the following questions:
1. What type of daily tidal pattern is indicated here? (diurnal, semidiurnal, mixed, other)
2. Name a location in the world that has this type of tides.
3. How many spring tides are indicated on the chart?
4. How many neap tides are indicated on the chart?
5. What is the position of the moon-earth-sun system during spring tides?
6. What is the position of the moon-earth-sun system during neap tides?
7. What time is the high high tide on December 5?
8. What is the height of the low high tide on December 25?
9. What time is the high low tide on December 6?
10. What is the height of the low low tide on December 4?
11. What time is the low high tide on the December 27?
12. What is the height of the high low tide on December 19?
13. What is the height of the high high tide on December 31?
14. What is the tidal range on December 3?
15. What is the tidal range on December 10?
16. When is the best time and date in December to observe intertidal organisms and why?
17. Why would it be difficult to see the California grunion in December?
18. What is the position of the sun on December 22?
19. What causes the tides?
20. Why is the study of tides important to physical, biological, chemical and geological oceanographers?